Forced Air Blower

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulP

Reaction score
Hi...i have a Hallmark warm air furnace model LBD85 made by Boyertown Furnace Co. It fires up, gets all hot and bothered but then motor area hums and does not vent out. I did not confirm exactly what is humming. When i manually push the switch with furnace not running, same symptom. Seems like motor needs a kick start. Does this sound like a capacitor issue? I'm thinking to disconnect the power and clean. I just had the annual maintenance done and now this issue after i started firing it up :(

Any good sources for parts if needed?
Thanks in advance...

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying the motor runs after you give it a nudge. Yes it sounds like a capacitor. Check an electric motor store. Take the old capacitor with you. If that does not fix it, furnace blower motors tend to be pretty standard.

PaulP

Reaction score
I think you are saying the motor runs after you give it a nudge. Yes it sounds like a capacitor. Check an electric motor store. Take the old capacitor with you. If that does not fix it, furnace blower motors tend to be pretty standard.
Sorry. Motor does not kick on. Feels like it wants to but does not. Still sound like capacitor?

PaulP

Reaction score
The noise does not appear to be coming from capacitor. If motor is needed, would i need to replace complete chamber or just internal motor? See pic...thanks

Attachments

• 20161013_082046.jpg
    20161013_082046.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 304

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The noise does not appear to be coming from capacitor. If motor is needed, would i need to replace complete chamber or just internal motor? See pic...thanks

That capacitor is bad, You can see that it has been leaking oil.

The cap does not hum, The hum is the motor not getting a high enough run voltage, Because the cap is bad.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It may be the capacitor. It may be that you need a motor. You usually replace just the motor. If you don't smell a burned smell, I would try the capacitor first.

5 inch diameter motors are common. They are often 1/2 or 1 HP, but could be other.
There are replacement motors with capacitors. There are replacement motors without capacitors. There are motors with ECM electronics that can be slow start and speed adjustable, but I have seen people write those are unreliable. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/comparing-electric-motors.40369/
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/60760.pdf
https://www.genteqmotors.com/Products/Aftermarket/

PaulP

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I already located the capacitor at contractor supply store for $5. He did not have the motor in stock so will try cap first. Will report back later tonight.

PaulP

Reaction score
Picked up cap. They quoted me $345 plus shipping for OEM motor (3/4Hp 4Spd). Hopefully i won't need it. Really appreciate your help!

Last edited:

PaulP

Reaction score
It was the $5 cap! :)

The service company said the motor was fried and never mentioned the cap as a possible solution.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Motors are pretty simple, reliable, long-lasting devices. The things that usually go with a motor are the bearings, or if they have brushes, those wear out and if not replaced before, they can score the contact surfaces. If it turns freely and is making a hum, there's continuity so you don't have an open winding, so it's, as you found, most likely the starter cap. FWIW, those are also often triggered via a power contactor or relay, and the relay coil can hum as well...if it can't supply the line voltage to the motor, it won't run.

PaulP

Reaction score
The fan motor ON switch has been humming for years. i thought it was just vibration...lol...Thanks
Glad it failed in the fall :)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It was the $5 cap! :)

The service company said the motor was fried and never mentioned the cap as a possible solution.

Many service company techs are just part changers at your expense, And have no clue how what they work on works.

Great that you fixed it yourself. The price was right.

Enjoy.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Just asking if you cleaned all of the dirt off the motor? The picture shows a lot of soot, take a vaccuum cleaner to it and if you have an air compressor give it a shout of air. Most newer motors do not have a oil caps on them but from the picture I cannot tell if there is one at the bearing. If there is give it a few drops of oil.

PaulP

Reaction score
Just asking if you cleaned all of the dirt off the motor? The picture shows a lot of soot, take a vaccuum cleaner to it and if you have an air compressor give it a shout of air. Most newer motors do not have a oil caps on them but from the picture I cannot tell if there is one at the bearing. If there is give it a few drops of oil.

I'm back because now my washing machine is broken. No i did not clean the motor as i first intended. Running great but i will clean it to prevent any issues. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks