Footprint for 2-Ton Furnaces?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhino1

Reaction score
I have 4 80-year old gravity furnaces in a California basement (in California), which I'd like to replace.

I'm trying to figure out whether I can put 4 2-ton replacement furnaces (perhaps with coils for an a/c add-on later) in the same location, but I'm getting conflicting information.

I have about 42 available square feet in one end, and 29 available square feet in the other. In the middle are water heaters and a washer/dryer.

Is that likely to be sufficient space?

Thank you in advance.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Does anybody even make replacement gravity furnaces anymore?

Or are you looking at using the same ductwork for an air-handler driven solution? (Not the best idea with the grossly oversized and perhaps not well balanced ductwork.)

How sure are you of the loads? Most houses/condos/apartments in CA can be heated with a condensing water heater feeding a hydronic air handler, and it could be 2 tons, but could also be a lot smaller.

The smartest thing to do would be to find a competent third party such as a RESNET rater or certified professional engineer to run an aggressive room by room, zone by zone Manual-J load calculation, which would allow you to make intelligent choices on the equipment.

A heat pump rather than a furnace might also be the "right" solution, depending on where the load numbers come out. A 0.75- 1.5 ton mini-ducted mini-split heat pump such as Fujitsu's 18RLFCD takes up less than 10 square feet of floor area if mounted vertically, or none at all if mounted below the ceiling in a closet or soffit, best mounted in the space they are heating (to keep the duct runs short and non-lossy) rather than in a basement.

This 1.5 tonner is heating & cooling a 1200 square foot single story house in Berkeley, installed as part of a major renovation, but there are other ways to mount them:

2ffa6e108a7ded9f51130ff14126239b275b1244b7d53138beb63b4182d68f13.jpg
7843213f27734395e6ede8ea696552a8eafd3a2dd7f62c2b61241bb23189a293.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks