Foot pedals AND hand valves for kitchen sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

moclov555

Reaction score
First post here but have been reading a ton on this forum throughout the process of renovating our apartment and have learned a lot from this great resource.

I’m about to rough in the plumbing for our new kitchen. I’ve always wanted foot pedals on my kitchen sink after seeing them in a commercial kitchen. Found some options online with pedals for separate hot and cold, just cold, or single pedal mixed warm. Looking through the instruction manuals and diagrams I could find it seems that they are designed to be the only way to turn on water to the sink, in other words they replace the hand valves completely. I want to maintain the option to control the sink with hand valves as well for things like filling large pots where I don’t want to have to stand at the sink with my foot on the valve while it fills up. I’m thinking there must be a way to have the best of both worlds with both the foot valve and hand valves connected together, maybe with some check valves and a tee that combines the output of both valves before going to the tap. Obviously the hand valves would need to be physically separate from the tap for this to work (not a one piece design).

Does anyone see a problem with this idea or think it would work? Know a better way to achieve this? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a separate spout? Maybe a pot filler???

moclov555

Reaction score
Considered a separate spout but think that might look weird. Doing a pot filler over the stove but I still see a need for both foot and hand valves over the sink.

Happy to do some “serious” modifications to the tap. This is a hobby for me. I have access to a milling machine and a lathe and can braze and tig brass and bronze if necessary.

Thoughts on the check valve and tee idea? Thanks!

Themp

Reaction score
Last edited:

moclov555

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Themp. I have already seen that person’s writeup and got some good info from it although they still are foot pedal only.

The Delta touch faucets are a great solution but unfortunately their designs aren’t my taste and I would like to use a commercial T&S Brass faucet and valves. If there was an aftermarket version of this technology that could simply be clipped onto the metal parts of any faucet (maybe with some nonmetallic unions between the pipe and faucet) then I would be happy to go this route instead of a pedal. Maybe hacking up one of the Delta units will be an option...

Still looking for feedback on the tee and check valves idea. Any plumbing reason why that wouldn’t work well?? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Still looking for feedback on the tee and check valves idea.
I don't know that you need check valves. But you would need to tap into the faucet assembly after the valving on the way to the faucet spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks