Foghorn when washer stops filling

Users who are viewing this thread

kelleyrichard

Reaction score
When the water turn off in the washing machine there is a very loud humming from the pipes in the house that has never been there before. It actually sounds like a foghorn. It seems to be coming from the plumbing in the bathroom next to the laundry room. When the water in the washer turns off it is very abrupt (the cold and hot hoses jump). Also, it is also cold here for the first time this year (around freezing, cold for the pac nw). What could be causing this? Is it the sudden change in pressure when the water turns off? I so how do I fix that?

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have a PRV (pressure reducing valve) installed. It would be near the point at which the water line comes in the house. Check and see if you have one. If you do fill the washer and stand near the valve when the washer turns off and check if the sound is coming from it. If so have it replaced. I liken the sound to a dieing cow on the ones I have replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks