Flushometer to tank toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

sheellah

Reaction score
I have a 58 yo house with a leaking flushometer toilet. Will be renovating in the future and replacing it with a tank toilet so don't want to spend to fix flushometer. The question is the new floor isn't in yet and the plumber is asking me to do everything at once which I'm not ready for. There is just Durorock on the floor and the tile will be 1/2" taller than what's there now.

Question is if I install the tank toilet now on the Durorock, how much of a job is it to unmount it and install it on top of the tile later? Would a pipe or something need to be lengthened 1/2" later? Trying to decide the extra cost to reinstall over the tile later, against the $ 250 to fix the flushometer. Can really use some guidance.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is more than one way to do this. If the plumber puts in a 4x3 closet bend, you could get a Sioux Chief 887-GPM or 887-GAM 4" inside fit gasket with SS swivel ring. It is pushed in, and has gasketing.
887-gpm.jpg
I would use a little silicone grease on the gasket, but most would not bother.

A 4x3 closet bend feeds 3 inch pipe once it has turned horizontal from vertical.

Later you unscrew and lift that. Apply the tile. Insert the same closet flange into the closet bend. Screw it down. Ideal height each way.

More than one way, but this one appeals to me. I am not a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While installing the flange on your Durock will work, it is not ideal. It's fairly common so as to not have to call the plumber back, to install the flange before the finished flooring is on. That is not how they were designed, but there are millions of installations where it is installed on the subfloor. Then, a jumbo, or stacking two wax rings usually works. The flange shown above would work well.

Tip on your tiling...it's much easier to notch the tile around the flange for the screws than to go back later and try to drill through that hard porcelain tile. The wetsaw is designed for cutting...and, it's one less tool you'll have to buy (the drill bit) that you may never use again. They're not super expensive, but they're not really cheap, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks