Flushing water pipes to remove buildup of manganese/iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark1400

Reaction score
I have a plumbing issue that has been diagnosed as buildup of manganese/iron in my water pipes. The house is on well water, and a whole house filter and aerating iron oxidizer installed about 3 years ago. But we are seeing some particles in the water that could be previous buildup in the pipes (before installation of the filter/oxidizer) that is slowly flaking off. The water treatment company I spoke to suggested flushing the lines with bleach to try and remove the buildup. Does anyone have experience doing this that can explain the process?

Reach4

Reaction score
No experience. But I think bleach would not be the right thing to remove iron or Mn deposits. Instead a mild acidic solution would be used. I would use Iron Out powder for iron, and I see that it is also supposed to be good for Mn in higher concentrations.

Is this build-up in galvanized lines, which themselves are iron? If things are largely accessible, you might consider repiping with PEX or CPVC.

The way I would try to clear out iron/rust deposits is to circulate a solution. How do you recirculate? That takes some ingenuity, and I can discuss that if you want.

Mark1400

Reaction score
No experience. But I think bleach would not be the right thing to remove iron or Mn deposits. Instead a mild acidic solution would be used. I would use Iron Out powder for iron, and I see that it is also supposed to be good for Mn in higher concentrations.

Is this build-up in galvanized lines, which themselves are iron? If things are largely accessible, you might consider repiping with PEX or CPVC.

The way I would try to clear out iron/rust deposits is to circulate a solution. How do you recirculate? That takes some ingenuity, and I can discuss that if you want.
Thanks for the feedback. These are mostly copper pipes, those that are accessible (in basement) have mostly been changed over to PEX.

Reach4

Reaction score
My flushing would be to use a utility pump driving from a clean new plastic trash can into the piping, and then somehow feeding the water from the faucets back to the garbage can.

If just the path to the tub would be worthwhile, you could put the pump into the tub, and forget the trash can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks