Flushing Water Heater-need to turn off supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken Sturtz

Reaction score
Hello All. I have a Rheem 40 gal electric water heater, 6yrs old and thought I would flush it, Every instruction I have read says to turn off the water supply and the power-----Why? I can easily cut the power, no big deal. BUT why do they advise to turn off the water supply? Itseems to me I would want water flow to help the flush? and if I can leave the water supply on, what is the danger to leaving the power on? Thanks All

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Leave the water on, it does a much better job a blasting out the sediment.
When I change out a water heater, I always start the flush with the water on.

wingclip

Reaction score
When I change out a water heater, I always start the flush with the water on.
Hi Terry,
I guess I've probably spent about 6 hours researching the topic (and 'sub-topics') on water heaters now. I plan to flush my heater tomorrow and hope I won't make things worse somehow. I'm clear on the entire procedure except for one thing;
I don't see any benefit to leaving the heater on during the process.

No one has said to turn off the breakers to the water heater and unless I can get a reason why the heater should continue to heat the water while it's being flushed, I intend to flip the breakers off until I'm through.

So, do you think turning off the water heater's power during the flush is OK?
NOTE: I realize that this is an old thread so I understand if no one answers. They may simply not see it.
Thank you,
Rich

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Unless you want to unnecessarily replace the elements you should definitely turn of power to the water heater before you start draining it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I spent a tremendous amount of time Flushing , draining etc . 6 years old I even changed anode. Honestly kinda just screwing around hoping for improovenent I also put a full flow ball valve shoved pipe through with shop vac . I really dont think flushing alone would have netted great results I think the draining down and then refilling it blasted more stuff out .
Honestly some might say a waste of time, I did spend time on it a lot of time several hours, I think I got headway Im going try again maybe this spring. Ive never done this for a paying customer I am a plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks