Flush zone with inline circulator

Users who are viewing this thread

EddieRock

Reaction score
I have 1 zone that is part of my boiler that services in floor heat. the loop has a circulator pump inline between the inlet and the valve where I put the hose to drain. This zone is the highest one and I think is full of air. I have no heat in just this zone. It has the pump because there is also a mixing valve that remixes the loop to reduce the heat for the in-floor heat.

I have two questions:
Can I flush that zone with the circulator pump in-line or do I need to bypass it somehow?

Also, do I need to open the mixing valve all the way so when I flush the zone, the water doesn't take the shortest route to exit the system instead of flowing through the infloor system?

thanks in advance for your quick reply!!

EddieRock

EddieRock

Reaction score
I've attached a photo. the pipe closest to us had the valve to drain below the pic. Past that, a valve to shut off the water to the boiler. then through the boiler and back up to the mixing valve, through the pump, past the temp gauge, through the infloor and returns to the T where it either goes back through the valve or down to the boiler. Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_224341.jpg
    IMG_20191107_224341.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 155

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I have 1 zone that is part of my boiler that services in floor heat. the loop has a circulator pump inline between the inlet and the valve where I put the hose to drain. This zone is the highest one and I think is full of air. I have no heat in just this zone. It has the pump because there is also a mixing valve that remixes the loop to reduce the heat for the in-floor heat.

I have two questions:
Can I flush that zone with the circulator pump in-line or do I need to bypass it somehow?

Also, do I need to open the mixing valve all the way so when I flush the zone, the water doesn't take the shortest route to exit the system instead of flowing through the infloor system?

thanks in advance for your quick reply!!

EddieRock

If it's a thermostatic mixing valve it will open up fully to the "hot" supply side when the water entering that side is below the adjustment temperature, so it should flush the radiation tubing just fine.

If the tee where the radiation return feeds water back to the mixer has a large distance between the tee & mixer that stub won't necessarily get fully flushed unless the pump is running, but if it's less than a couple feet it's a "who cares?" kind of thing.

EddieRock

Reaction score
Thanks Dana. Its a Taco mixing valve with a dial from 1 to 8 or something like that. The distance between the T and the mixer is about 4 feet.

I flushed the zone already. Or at least tried to. The zone bubbled air for hours. Something like 3 or so. Never stopped bubbling. I'm going to add a valve in the loop between the return to boiler and the mixing valve. this will force the water through the entire loop and hopefully, have enough flow to pull the air out.

thanks for your help! Any ideas are welcome!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks