Flush water system to get rid of flux?

Users who are viewing this thread

swhitc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We just bought a house, and have had a steep learning curve already.
This week husband and a friend replaced our shut-off valve and some of the surrounding copper pipes (it's a tricky spot, so lots - 10 or so - joints). They used lead free NSF rated solder and Oatey #5 flux (lead free, petroleum based, NSF rated). I'm wondering if we need to flush our water system before we use it for drinking water.

I haven't found much information about flushing systems (if it's needed, how to do it if it is) online. The only piece of information I have found is from Oatey's FAQs (how do I flush flux out of my water lines?), which basically describes pumping 5 gallons of water with TSP and bleach diluted through the water system for an hour, repeating, and then draining the system. What it doesn't include is under what circumstances flushing the water lines would be necessary.

I would appreciate any help/information.

Abc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We just bought a house, and have had a steep learning curve already.
This week husband and a friend replaced our shut-off valve and some of the surrounding copper pipes (it's a tricky spot, so lots - 10 or so - joints). They used lead free NSF rated solder and Oatey #5 flux (lead free, petroleum based, NSF rated). I'm wondering if we need to flush our water system before we use it for drinking water.

I haven't found much information about flushing systems (if it's needed, how to do it if it is) online. The only piece of information I have found is from Oatey's FAQs (how do I flush flux out of my water lines?), which basically describes pumping 5 gallons of water with TSP and bleach diluted through the water system for an hour, repeating, and then draining the system. What it doesn't include is under what circumstances flushing the water lines would be necessary.

I would appreciate any help/information.

Dealing with a similar situation using the same flux. Did you ever get an answer for this? Many Thanks.

Mliu

Reaction score
The person you're asking last logged onto this site four years ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks