Flush valve repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

dbouton

Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back thinking I had a leaky flapper. I replaced it and am still having a problem. What I think is going on is this: I turned the water off going to the toilet. About 10 hours later I took the lid off and half the water had emptied and then stopped leaking. So this told me it wasn't the flapper since all the water would be gone. I put more water in and noticed water leaking into the toilet again (the same place it comes in to refill) which I believe it's called the flush valve (the tube coming up from the flapper where the hose goes into it). I think this has a crack in it at the spot where it stopped leaking. Now I know I could replace it but I will only be in the house about 6 more months because a property management company is buying it and tearing it down to build apartments. So basically I want a quick fix. Is there a "glue" I can put on the crack that will hold. It's a plastic fitting and I wasn't sure if there was something that would hold up once water got on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Dawn

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1. Put some food coloring in the tank. See if you can actually see the spot where water is leaking through a crack in the flush valve/overflow tube. Given your situation, if you can find the spot, I would patch it with an epoxy putty available at any hardware store.

2. Your problem could be caused by a small black refill tube which runs from the filling valve over to the overflow tube. If this tube is inserted down into the overflow, ( it SHOULD end ABOVE the overflow and spray down into it), siphoning will take place giving similar symptoms to what you have.

dbouton

Reaction score
Flush valve repair

Thanks for the helpful info. The tube only goes in slightly (1/2 inch) into the overflow and it does not sit in any water which I'm assuming would cause siphoning. I'll try the food coloring. There's a lot more to toilets then I ever imagined. Thanks again for the help.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Amen

There's a lot more to toilets then I ever imagined. But it's also good not to use too much imagination when it comes to toilets.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is not any water in the overflow tube , but there is water in the little refill tube. If the end of that tube is below the water level in the tank, it WILL siphon. This is such a common and misunderstood problem, you should move that tube up temporarily, just to eliminate this common possibility.

wallyp

Reaction score
plastic pipe

Ihad the same proublm, replaced the rubber flaper, no
help, then i seen the water would go down to a cert. level
then stop. I glued the pipe for something else to try, it
worked the glue i used was ELMER'S MUCILAGE, just because i
had it around, i glued the whole pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks