Fluoride removal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ndx

Reaction score
Hi,

So what are my options ...

Bone Char ?
Activated Alumina ?

Any other POE solutions beside Whole House RO ?

EDIT:

I found some claims of a media that is capable of removing fluor

HealthGuard System HG - FluoriGone - FG refers to a proprietary blend of Fluoride, Arsenic, Anion and Cation Removal Resins used by San Diego Pure Water (SDPW) to remove Fluoride in residential applications. This media is NSF Certified and ANSI Certified for Water Purification Use. This media is Re-Generated with Sodium Chloride (Salt) and Re-Generates in a manner similar to a Softener. In counties that have out-lawed salt re-generated water softeners these systems are not allowed.

The Major Advantages of HG: 1. Can remove Fluoride to relatively high levels (91%+), 2. FG can be effectively used over and over again through Salt Re-Generation; this media can be used for 10+ years in constant service. 3. This systems overall cost is 1/2 that of other methods of Fluoride Removal.

The Major Drawbacks of HG: 1. Requires maintenance and inspection at least every 6 months, 2. Requires salt monthly for re-generation, 3. Adds Sodium to the water as it removes Fluoride, (A health issue), 4. Requires the use of a Reverse Osmosis Filter for Drinking Water.

General Maintenance: POU – This media cannot be used as a POU solution, as a POE solution this media is highly effective and extremely inexpensive to operate. FG resin will last up to ten years.

Thx

Last edited:

Ndx

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my findings...

GAC+KDF had some significant removal rates, Please read the notes (1), but that's pretty crazy.
Did the GAC remove it... did KDF ? or reaction of both ?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
There are many options but in general pou is the major concern. Also, is your fluoride level naturally occurring or is it added by the municipality and at what level? Fluoride is often times naturally occurring in the water supply in trace amounts and while it can be bad, it can also be a benefit. Like anything it has more to do with the amount. Too much water will kill you. Not enough sodium will kill you. Trace amounts of fluoride have been shown for the most part to be beneficial but since we get so much of it in our daily lives do we really need to add it to our water supply? Probably not, but this always turns into a raging debate and I have no desire to get into it with the tinfoil hat crowd. Common sense is lacking from the online trolls. :)

As to a reduction method, a simple RO for your drinking water should be adequate assuming your levels are already low. Bone Char is effective when applied correctly, we have tested it extensively, the taste is not pleasant though. Most companies try to sell a big blue Bone char filter for a whole house, this is not applied correctly and will typically only provide minimal reduction. Activated Alumina is also highly effective but the capacity of the media is very low, it is expensive etc... Some anion resins are also effective and are regenerable but not very common due to a host of other problems that can occur. Carbons, KDF, specialty medias embedded in a high density polypropylene foam, and many other technologies show promise but the repeatability of the results have proven to be difficult. Many of the test models we have seen start with high levels of fluoride and reduction is achieved but to levels that are still high. If you start with 10 ppm and reduce it to 1 ppm, that is a great result, but trying to start with 1 and reducing it to .1 has proven to be very difficult.

We will continue to test medias and ideas, if we have any significant breakthroughs... I may retire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks