fluorescent light bulb's don't work with Timer's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Why is it when I put a fluorescent bulb in a light that is on a timer it starts to blink, even though the timer os off? I have lots of timers around my house instead of the regular switches...does this mean I cannot use this type of bulb?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why this should happen, if everything is properly wired. A switch is a switch. Are these timers mechanical or solid-state?

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
The timers are solid state. I don't understand this. Not that I'm an electrician, I don't think I wired them incorrectly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Lighting control devices....timers, photocells, and motion sensors.....can be problematic with fluorescent. Especially electronic devices like your timer.

Here is the reason......

Simple electronic in-line devices like maybe your timer are designed to replace a simple on/off switch in a box where only the HOT wire is present, not a ground or neutral. Therefore, they way they work is to "steal" a tiny amount of current. That is when the timer or photocell wants the lights to be OFF it is still passing just a few milliamps of current to operate its circuits, and be ready to switch when the time arrives. For incandescent bulbs, this current just passes through the bulb, and is so small that it does not even cause a little glow. But, flourescent bulbs DO NOT LIKE this set-up. It will cause the flickering etc. that you are seeing.

The only solution is to get a timer which is specifically rated for fluorescent. They are much more expensive, and often require a neutral and/ or a ground to be present in the switch box, and you may or may not have that.

Also, you have to look specifically at what kind of lamps/ballasts you have. Some of the timer/photo/motion devices will be rated for MAGNETIC ballast only, some for ELECTRONIC only, and some for BOTH. For a look at some devices and specs, try www.wattstopper.com

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I got it! Thanks. I do have the 3-wires needed; however, these timers are new and were expensive (maybe $15 or so) so I'll hold off. Thanks again!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I got it! Thanks. I do have the 3-wires needed; however, these timers are new and were expensive (maybe $15 or so) so I'll hold off. Thanks again!!

Unfortunately, @ $15, these fall in to the category of "cheapies". Think $35 to $55 for what you need.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They somehow need the closed circuit provided by the incandescant filiment to operate.

2 wire photo cells are the same way.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I hate to be a kill-joy but I have the same problem with light switches with LED lights in them (to find them in the dark) and I have found that some brands of CFLs do work and do not flicker.

It's trial and error, but I have had lots of success with the Lights of America brand.

Another trick, is that if you have a device that uses more than one bulb, a chandalier for example, you can use CFLs + one ordinary incandescent. The presence of the single incandescent will stop any flickering.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CFL could use an electronic ballast or a magnetic one...my guess is a magnetic one might be more likely to work.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Intermatic makes a switch capable of use with fluorescent bulbs - EI600. If it's like the model it supersedes, which I have in my house, it has a little motor which mechanically moves a SPST load switch. Mine has a AAA battery which needs to be replaced about once a year, since it operates the switching motor.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
My X-10 light switches have "latching" relays and work fine.

My earlier research showed that most inline dimmers and photo cells would slowly charge the 200 volt DC capacitor until the "start up" circuit starts. The bulb would then flash as the switching power supply drained the main capacitor.

The old style (plug in bulb) CF lights are also ok, but are less efficient.

motor driven timers are also fine with CF lights.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Interesting. What do you mean by "old style plug-in bulb"?

Are those like the circular CFLs that have four prongs that plug into a plug on the light?

Like this:
circular_cfl_connectors.jpg

or

perhaps these:
all_pl_lamps.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Circline bulbs are usually magnetic ballasts. The plug in bulbs...if they have 2 pins that is usually a magnetic ballast, and if they have 4 pins, that is electronic ballast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks