Flow test from 2 shower heads - is 3 GPM sufficient?

Users who are viewing this thread

murphy290

Reaction score
Our new shower will have a fixed shower head and a handheld, with a thermostatic valve and separate volume controls so that the shower heads can be used separately or at the same time. Both shower heads are rated at 2.5 gpm. We did ten-second flow tests and got 4 gpm at each outlet when turned on separately, and 3 gpm when they were both on at the same time.

Are these results normal? Since we have more than 2.5 gpm, should we have enough volume/flow as time goes on?

Thanks

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why not double check your math.

A larger bucket (like a garbage can) will give you a more accurate reading.

Perhaps the flow restrictors are removed from the fixtures? 4 GPM is not a lot if your worried about flow rates down the drain and 4GPM is a lot if you are wanting lots of water. I would not freak out over these numbers.

When flow rates get over 12-14 GPM you need to make sure the drain can handle it. Over 16-18 GPM and head water build up over the drains grate can measure as high as 1/2" in my private testing.

murphy290

Reaction score
I should have explained - I didn't have the actual shower heads on the outlets, just a goose neck. (One shower head is still on order.) I'm more concerned that I won't have enough flow, so I wanted to check before we go any further in the remodel. Is 4 gpm for each when on separately and 3 gpm with both on normal?

I can install one of the shower heads plus use an old one to do another test if that makes sense. What do you think?

Thanks

murphy290

Reaction score
Yes - either a larger hot water tank, or we'll have to take very quick showers!

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks