Flow Inducer Sleeve

Users who are viewing this thread

Bubba

Reaction score
Using a submersible pump in a large tank or large casing, I understand the need to force a certain amount of water flow past the motor for proper cooling.

But I see many of these flow inducer sleeve recommendations and pictures that look like the sleeve is barely larger than the motor housing diameter. Don't we need to keep a minimum amount of space between the motor housing and the inside diameter of the sleeve so that the appropriate volume of water can get to the pump? If the flow inducer sleeve is almost the same diameter as the motor housing, even with increased velocity, isn't there a chance of impeding the performance of the pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
I computed the area in the pipe. Subtracted the area of the motor. The difference is the "annular space" where water can flow. For comparison, the area of a 1.25 inch diameter circle is 1.227 in².
img_2a.png

SmithLakeTom

Reaction score
Good Day to all,
Here's yet another twist on the FLOW SLEEVE question, and many thanks for the area calculations done by Reach4.
I am irrigating from a lake, up the hill as far as 80 ft altitude for a sprinkler system covering 2 acres. TuHorse pump model TS4-045-08. This is a 4" pump with 260 ft head that pumps 60GPM at 80 ft. Lake water in the summer is 80 degrees at the level of my pump intake.

QUESTION: can I use a 4" thin wall PVC for my flow sleeve?

Seems like that might create a huge amount of suction and strain the pump to achieve its rated GPM, thus increasing heat. I could just as easily use 5" or even 6" pipe for the sleeve. I found a site that sells 2" single outlet well seals for 4, 5, &6 in. pipe sizes and plan to use one when I can figure out which pipe diameter would be best.

Really need some help on this one. NOBODY here in Alabama has a clue about this...

Reach4

Reaction score
The total head the pump sees is the sum of the elevation head, the pipe resistance, and the pressure out to the to the sprinklers, at a foot per 0.434 psi.

https://www.tuhorse.us/submersible-pumps/3hp-ts4-045-08-pump-end-only/ says "Free Flow: 55GPM @ 75 ft; 50GPM @ 130 ft; 45GPM @ 155ft; 40GPM @ 170ft; 26GPM @ 200 ft.; 16GPM @ 220 ft.". So it seems likely that your actual flow is around 40 to 45 gpm... still a high flow.

With 4 inch D2729 solid sewer pipe, if the annular space was 1.876, that would have the same cross sectional area of a pipe with ID 1.546 inches. See http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/General/Pipeline-Pressure-Loss.php for a simplified pressure loss calculator for pipe. http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ is not nearly so simplified.

There exists 4-1/2 SDR17 used for well casings, but it would have limited availability. I don't think you would need something that big.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 3.5" pump in a 4" sleeve about 60 GPM is max, and causes considerable friction loss. I would use 5" pipe at 80 GPM. But you don't want a sleeve any larger than necessary because the velocity past the motor is more important than the flow rate.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
With a 3.5" pump in a 4" sleeve about 60 GPM is max, and causes considerable friction loss. I would use 5" pipe at 80 GPM. But you don't want a sleeve any larger than necessary because the velocity past the motor is more important than the flow rate.
Where is this friction loss created? As the water goes around the motor to reach the intake? I ask because in my area 4” pvc wells are the norm. I have many 5 hp 90 gpm pumps in 4” casing with out issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks