Florescent Light does not start when Humidly is high

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Short term fix...foil will block the light going up and prevent it from being reflected back down by the lamp fixture. FWIW, for many of the fixtures can use LED replacement bulbs.

JasonM

Reaction score
I also noticed that my bathroom florescent light comes on fine when the humidity is low at about 20%. I live in Southern California, and I notice that whenever the Santa Ana winds blows( very low humidity winds), both the two florescent light come on. On other times when the humidity is high like around 30% or above, only one comes on. I think this is because the ballast is old, but I do not know why. Thank you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd look to see if there is an LED retrofit bulb. Not a big fan of fluorescent lights in a bathroom, at least at home.

MicheleG

Reaction score
I have several fluorescent bulbs in my home. When they fail to to start, all I need to do is take the bulb out and wash it with a damp rag, dry it, and put it back in. That usually solves the problem for a year. The bulbs in the kitchen usually have a scum on them. The others have a lot of dust on them.
Thank you so much, Robert. You made fixing this so easy! I was all ready with my aluminum foil and decided to try cleaning the bulbs first. They're 48" bulbs in my basement, many of them difficult to reach. I didn't even have to take them down. Just wiped the swifter duster over them and voila! Let there be light! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks