Floor mount tub filler

Users who are viewing this thread

drury23

Reaction score
I will be installing a freestanding tub in my new bathroom renovation. I am debating the best method for a faucet. These floor mount tub fillers are modern and space saving, but look like they can be tricky to install and potentially difficult to replace in the future. The tub will be along an exterior wall on the long side and an interior wall on the short side.

I am debating between a floor mount tub filler (Delta T4759-SSFL) or framing a short enclosure/wall on the exterior wall for installing a regular faucet.

Has anyone had experiences with installing floor mount tub fillers? Good? Bad? My main concern is just that if I needed to replace it in a few years, it would require ripping up the ceiling from below and then dismantling the stringer that supports the mounting bracket. It can be done, but would be difficult. I appreciate any input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You mount, and secure, female adapters at the floor level, then mount the faucet into them so ALL connections are above the floor. The faucet is usually stabilized by a bracket that attaches to the overflow pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

drury23

Reaction score
You mount, and secure, female adapters at the floor level, then mount the faucet into them so ALL connections are above the floor. The faucet is usually stabilized by a bracket that attaches to the overflow pipe.

The Delta, Kohler, and Moen tub fillers all have brackets that are secured to a horizontal 2x10 stringer with all connections under the floor. This is the Delta mounting bracket: https://media.deltafaucet.com/MandI/76944 Rev C.pdf

NickK

Reaction score
It sounds like you could benefit a lot from reading this buying guide to free standing tub filler. This guide has a lot of information about the difference between expensive and cheap tub faucets. It also has a video showing the installation of a Delta freestanding faucet. You will see how the Delta rough-in valve installs. It comes with a very sturdy and secure mounting plate that screws into the floor and is then bolted to the trim kit. The key to an enjoyable freestanding tub faucet is that it is stable and sturdy. This guide focuses a lot on Delta so I think it will give you some insight

Elton Noway

Reaction score
It sounds like you could benefit a lot from reading this buying guide to free standing tub filler. This guide has a lot of information about the difference between expensive and cheap tub faucets. It also has a video showing the installation of a Delta freestanding faucet. You will see how the Delta rough-in valve installs. It comes with a very sturdy and secure mounting plate that screws into the floor and is then bolted to the trim kit. The key to an enjoyable freestanding tub faucet is that it is stable and sturdy. This guide focuses a lot on Delta so I think it will give you some insight
Found this old thread while researching free standing / floor mounted tub fillers. The problem with the linked buying guide is it was obviously written or promoted by Delta. Granted the initial argument against buying cheap no-name, made in China faucets has its merits but Delta isn't the only option when it comes to the more expensive brand names most people are familiar with. Ironically some of the same failures pointed out that can occur with a cheaper faucet can also be found when reading through the negative reviews for the expensive brand name models like Delta. My biggest concern with the cheaper made in China models is the questionable ability to source parts for future repairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks