Floor mount, Rear outlet toilet choices

Users who are viewing this thread

skidown

Reaction score
I have a condo with two rear outlet, floor-mounted toilets. One is a newer (2 yrs) Gerber with the Sloan pressure assist, located off a bedroom I hate how loud it is, especially because it's located above a living area. The second is an old, 1970s Kohler with a huge, 3 gallon tank, located in a very small powder room. It flushes great, but it's huge and in a very small bathroom. I'm concerned about switching them both to the combination of rear outlet, 1.2 gallon and gravity only. Two questions: If I replace the Gerber with a regular gravity Gerber or ICERA (both have >1000 MaP ratings), will I regret it? I don't like the noise of the Sloan system, but I don't want to be plunging this thing all the time. The old Kohler flushes great, but we'd like something smaller and more contemporary. Is it a mistake to replace it with a newer Gerber or Icera? Thanks for your help and advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Wall hung version is a 400 gram unit. I see that MaP gives 1.000 to the 975 bowl that floor mounts with rear outlet. I've installed quite a few of the wall hung units, and for most people it's fine. I did remove one and put back a pressure assist. They kept one gravity though for the guest bathroom. I'm kinda not buying that there is a 600 gram difference between the two bowls.

skidown

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. The half bath doesn't really have to do the heavy duty work work like the bathroom off the bedroom. Most people seem to understand that the little powder rooom off of the living room is not the place to do a full-on evacuation of the bowels. So in that case, it seems like switching the old Kohler for a the newer Gerber may not be a bid deal. That leaves me with changing out the pressure assist Gerber for the graviiy Gerber. I've had my share of bad toilets. The Totos are by far the best I've ever had. I've gotten rid of all my Kohlers. I have one Duravit that is staying for style reasons only. Do you think I'll regret switching the Gerber pressure assist for a Gerber gravity? Any opinions on the ICERA? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry.....Arent those rear outlet floor mounted toilets with the tanks extremely expensive...????
I looked up an american standard a while back and it was over 1000

Hi Mark,
I sell the gravity version of the Gerber Maxwell floor mount, rear outlet for $379.99 in the Seattle area. I've installed about thirty of the wall hung version of the same toilet here.
The A/S retails for $738.00 on their website. Makes it about $515.00 when I sell it.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Barring...r/productDetail/commercial-toilets/424165.htm
$811.35 retail, mine at $567.00

The Gerber at $379.99 is a lot quieter.

Seattle area, I'm not shipping something that cost $175.00 per unit.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks