Floor joists near flange

Users who are viewing this thread

GBH

Reaction score
I'm preparing to put down tile in a bath area, and I'm having to do a substantial amount of floor reinforcement. Yesterday I pulled up a bunch of plywood to box off sections, and was able to see a good portion of the plumbing. I noticed the toilet flange does not have floor joists on two sides (the left and right of toilet) as I was expecting. It's simply sitting in the middle of a section of plywood. The joists in the area it's in are on ~28" centers. It is nearly centered between these joists, so the flange center is about 14" to either of the two nearest joists (front and rear of toilet). I have to cut up this area and box it off so it will support tile, but what should I do about the flange? When I box it off, how close to the flange should I put the boards?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The flange has nothing to do with the joists, headers, or anything else. The last thing carpenters are concerned about is where the toilet will sit so they can install a joist next to it.

GBH

Reaction score
The last thing carpenters are concerned about is where the toilet will sit so they can install a joist next to it.

While building my house, I'm sure the only thing the carpenters were concerned with was "How long until beer-thirty?" Poke a hole in any wall/floor, and it is all but guaranteed you'll find a quality control issue. In any case, shouldn't there be additional support for a toilet rather than simply placing it on an open span of 3/4" ply? I'm going to beef up the area some in any case, I just thought there might be accepted standards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks