Floor drains below laundry, dishwasher, fridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a dishwasher, laundry closet, and fridge upstairs, above a finished downstairs level.

The walls are open, and before I close them, I have the opportunity to relatively easily install floor drains (plus proper venting and trap primers, of course) relatively easily. But I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle, or even opening me up to other problems.

For example, if the laundry drain backs up and slows the flow enough that the floor drain unintentionally floods the room.

I'm seeking opinions on whether this is a worthwhile option to pursue.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The odds of a floor drain backing up from the laundry are very slim.
There are plenty of homes that install the floor drain with primer where a washer has been installed.

Speede541

Reaction score
Terry, are you suggesting laundry is the only one I ought to concern myself with?

Also, is there a recommended distance downstream the floor drain runs parallel to the laundry drain before joining it? I ran my laundry drain flat for about 10 feet in 2"copper, prior to dropping vertical.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never installed a floor drain in a kitchen before.

It's a good question about seperation between the floor drain and the washer.
There can be soap suds from the washer. I did see that from a toilet before that was nearby. In that case, the drain in the crawl had a low spot, and once corrected wasn't an issue.

Speede541

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured laundry is a common location due to these frequently being installed upstairs. I'll look at extending the run as far as practical in order to prevent suds, even though my slope is good.

It appears 2"is the minimum diameter? I don't see any 1.5" floor drains at my local supply house. I see 4 gallons per minute is the minimum for a laundry floor drain, and that should be good for at minimum 8 GPM.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think upstairs the norm is to put the washer in a washing machine drain pan that is connected to to the drain system.

Speede541

Reaction score
Wow, I'm digging that drain! Though I think I'd run it front to rear, so it doesn't get run over when installing or removing the appliance. Well, I bet the alignment of the floor joists is the driving factor. Really slick, though.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Wow, I'm digging that drain! Though I think I'd run it front to rear, so it doesn't get run over when installing or removing the appliance. Well, I bet the alignment of the floor joists is the driving factor. Really slick, though.

The home had a 1.5" concrete pour over the entire three floors. We blocked the closet off so that I could use the space for the linear drain.

You can simply make a mini dam that would give a lip to contain water in a tray like setting. Worth the effort.

The home I'm on now has a raised platform and a kerdi shower tray for the appliance. Millwork is going in now. I'll show you a dam version later in the month.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The washer drain pan, should NOT be connected to the drain system. They are usually piped to the exterior of the building or to another drain using an "open" connection so they cannot "back up" and overflow.

Speede541

Reaction score
The washer drain pan, should NOT be connected to the drain system. They are usually piped to the exterior of the building or to another drain using an "open" connection so they cannot "back up" and overflow.
Funny you should mention a drain pan...

I have a prep sink in the kitchen which isn't easily connectable to a floor drain as an under-sink overflow. Was thinking of sealing the undercabinet and porting an overflow drain tube out the wall, where it would spill into a culvert along the side of the house.

But that seems sketchy. Is this really an accepted practice with drain pans?

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

??? Every job we work on the floor drain for the washing machine is connected to the homes waste line. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. Seems no different than a basement floor drain to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks