Floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
The other day I found that my basement floor drain was clogged. A snake wouldn't penetrate it, so I fished it out with a long nosed pliers, only to find it was metal! I then used a magnet and took out nothing but metal. Most of it was shards and dust, but a few screws... It is now running clean. I'm on a well/septic system.

Does this mean that the drain line components are deteriorated, and is there a way to know if the p-trap has lost it's integrity? The home is 45 years old... I've owned the home for 10 years and never checked the drain before, and we haven't done any renovation where items would get in the drain.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• Floor Drain II.jpg
    Floor Drain II.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 184

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a picture of the drain?
You should be able to shine a light down and see water sitting in the lower part of the p-trap.

M3

Reaction score
Drain_opt.jpg Sorry, I should have included this. Yes, there is water in the trap so it isn't totally gone. I'm wondering if there is any way to know who far it really has deteriorated. The past owner had the water softener recharge going directly into this drain; not sure if that affected it. Is this normal deterioration after 40 years? Is replacing the drain something that I should put on my future needs for the home?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks