Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The floor drain needs a p-trap.
I don't have a floor drain in my laundry, and I almost never see one. I've seen homes for the 1920's in the basements with them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain might just go to a dry well, rather than to the sewer. In that case, it probably wouldn't need a p-trap.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We do install floor drains in laundry rooms with traps Casi Iron with a bell to prevent odor or sewerage from overflowing the drains .

Just remember to pour water into the drain so the trap seal does not everoperate

Attachments

• TRAP.jpg
    TRAP.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 216

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no requirement for a floor drain. If it is the lowest drain in the house, it would be the first place for sewage to back up if the line was plugged further downstream,

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I think it depends on the situation, backing up could be an issue, but maybe not the sewer is low enough or there's an ejector pump serving it, or other backup protection exists for that. It's nice to have it in case a leak occurs at the washing machine, that could save a lot of damage, and it makes it easier to clean the room or clean things in the room. Maybe ask the customer how much they want to pay to keep it?

Reach4

Reaction score
We do install floor drains in laundry rooms with traps Casi Iron with a bell to prevent odor or sewerage from overflowing the drains .

Just remember to pour water into the drain so the trap seal does not evaporate
I am surprised that the bell trap is permitted in NYC. It seems perfectly functional to me, but so many codes specifically disallow those and drum traps. Drum traps are also functional for some uses, and would be nice for adding a standpipe for a softener without having to install a vent.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC does not allow bell traps but as I saw one in the building the old guy said "inspector did not see it its legal"

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
CHAPTER 10
TRAPS, INTERCEPTORS AND SEPARATORS
SECTION PC 1001
GENERAL

The following types of traps are prohibited:
Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
2.Bell, pot, bottle
traps and traps with interior partitions
.Crown vented traps.
4.Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on inte
rior partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed of an
approved material that is resistant to corrosion and degradation.
5.“S” traps.
6.Drum traps

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just busted up concrete to fix sewer line. Floor drain has no ptrap. Is a floor drain recommend in a laundry room. If sewer backs up its coming out there first.

if you're going to have a floor drain at all, yes, install a trap. But it is not required by code. If it was mine, I'd cap off the line. Abandon it and fill it with concrete.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
The floor drain is not required, however is a good idea.

Here in Canada, if the floor drain ties into the building drain, and if on the upstream end up the connection to the building drain the stack terminates 3” to open air from top to bottom, then the floor drain does not require a vent.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The floor drain is not required, however is a good idea.

Here in Canada, if the floor drain ties into the building drain, and if on the upstream end up the connection to the building drain the stack terminates 3” to open air from top to bottom, then the floor drain does not require a vent.

Yeah, but Canadians are weird. They still use large smooth rocks instead of toilet paper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks