Floor Drain: how to prevent outside air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek B

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I have no idea where this question fits...

I have a laundry room drain that is a 2" ABS pipe straight down then out to the outer wall of the house via our crawlspace. I had it blocked because we had the laundry in the garage, but now it'll be in the house and I want it unblocked. Except, there is air that easily flows up and into the house via that pipe. What's a good way to allow it to work as a water emergency pipe out of the house while not allowing air in? I'm about to get the washer/dryer combo installed, so my hope is I won't have to slide it back out, but can implement any solution either at the exit point or underneath in the crawlspace. But open to all ideas. thanks for your all's help!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You need a trap and a trap primer but if the air infiltration is poorly managed placing the neutral pressure plane (NPP) too high, it cold overcome the pressure of a traditional trap. House envelope infiltration should be better managed by sealing up high and allowing makeup air down low to lower the NPP. Mismanaged NPP can cause reverse drafting of flues and CO poisioning.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Oh, should I assume this is in California (LA) as per your profile? What is the total vertical drop from the floor drain to where the pipe exits? Maybe a simple swing gate check valve at the exit would suffice.

Derek B

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply! I'm in the Los Angeles area yes. The drop is about 1 foot is all. From the raised floor down into the crawlspace, then out toward a crawlspace vent. The ducting for the dryer exhaust is on a different side of the house and so no risk of CO flowing back thru this drain.

Would this be an easy solution?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-Se...CBSgueONzdXAafMxLnAaAt8fEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I found a similar one at Lowes, but worry the valve flapper is too stiff for my very low pressure water should this drain ever be needed. They had a 1-1/4 variant that had a flapper that was much more flexible and would probably open easier, though I'd have to adapt the 2" ABS down to fit it.

Appreciate your advice and time!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks