floor deflection

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wires

If the wires are near the top or bottom of the old joists, you might be able to jack the joists level and while the "support" is under them notch the old joists so the wires can be removed, (and possibly relocated to a point above the support wall or beam, so the new ones could be notched at the same point without sacrificing any strength), and not having to cut the wires.

aussie78

Reaction score
I was told not to notch any of the old joist for strength. And, besides they run about 2"-3" from the bottom of the joist. So I don't think it would be good to take out that much material. I'm pretty much just waiting for my wife to make some room in this one so we can "git 'r' done".

I appreciate all of your assistance... It helped me with the final decision.
It will be done with the 2x8s and lots of PL400, nailed with a pneumatic nail gun and 3" screws. The floor will be lifted with a floor jack to take out any slack in the joists (1"?) before any attaching of the new joists. If it will make them any stronger then I will add carriage bolts as well.

AUSSiE

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
aussie78 said:
... with the 2x8s and lots of PL400 ... pneumatic nail gun and 3" screws ... [maybe] carriage bolts as well.

I did my 2x6s by hand with 16d cc sinkers near the tops and bottoms about every 15"-18" or so, and I drove them through the softer (newer) wood into the harder. I would tend to think the screws are quite optional and the carriage bolts definitely unnecessary. But of course, neither would do any actual harm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks