Flooded Irrigation Meter Box - help!

Users who are viewing this thread

KD_19

Reaction score
Hi All! We recently purchased our first home and are very new to all things home ownership but particularly irrigation systems. We have 2 water meter boxes coming in from the city - 1 for the sprinkler system, 1 for the house. The meter box for irrigation keeps flooding with water, overflowing roughly 2-3 times after running the sprinklers (all the sprinklers seem to work fine despite this).

Called the city out, determined their is a leak on "our side" and he showed me the leak detector spinning veeery slowly. Had an irrigation guy out, but we had stopped running the sprinklers, so he dug up right by the box and didn't see any indication of a leak there, and at this point there is no water showing up in the box even after a few hours, so he can't really tell us anything else without digging up the whole line (no thanks).

So here we are. Trying to avoid calling him out again until I feel like we have a better grip on what could be happening. He said there's definitely a leak in the supply line, and that we should notice a damp spot in the grass that isn't drying, but we haven't found a spot like this yet. We're also supposed to have our lawn reseeded soon, so I am worried we're going to have a giant mess on our hands if we don't get this figured out soon.

I'm attaching a pic here of where it looks like the water is coming in (arrow is misleading, the water is definitely coming in from the bottom of the box) once I had the box emptied and before I shut the valve at the meter off. Pic is from a video too large to add here. Any insight to what is going on is REALLY appreciated!

InkedIMG_4141_Moment_LI.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Working on a leak in my irrigation line right now myself. Tree roots. :mad:

I had to dig up the spot and turn on the water to find the leak. The leak was actually a long way from the wet spot. The water followed the pipe for a ways before it came to the surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks