Floating LED Shelf Illusion

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Yesterday I was working away in my basement and got a crazy idea. How the idea entered my little brain I'm unsure of but since then I have been trying to figure out a way to create the illusion (or is it) of a floating shelf.

I have two electrical panels that I'm trimming out and design some shelfs. I want to separate the large panel area with a shelf. I got to thinking about making the shelf removable when I need access to the breakers.

I thought about drilling holes and using shelf pins. TOO IKEA LOOKING

I thought about a double French Cleat - might go this route.

Then I notice my rare earth magnet I found when looking for a razor blade. I stuck it to the electrical panel and then it hit me. What if I installed some rare earth magnets into the sides of the trim work and some metal into a shelf. If I keep the shelf a 1/4" - 1/8" smaller than the opening I was wondering if it would float.

Then I thought what if I down light the opening so light passes around the shelf. Then on a first glance you would see the recess, and upon further inspection you would be like WTF - how is this possible?

By floating shelfs I do not mean this style;

p5574_extra2_en.jpg

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you'll find it won't work very well. The shelf will snap to one side if one side is stronger. Or if you're repelling the shelf will just pop up or fall down. The easiest way to separate those magnets is to slide them apart, so you are wanting them to hold the weakest way.

I embedded some magnets in my wood siding doors and the frame they slide by to help align them by feel in the correct closed position. They are about the size of a quarter but should have been about 3 times that size to be truly effective.

I also embedded a bunch of rare earth magnets in the back of a wide wood mirror frame I made so pictures, keys etc could be stuck to it.

I thought about embedding a bunch of magnets in the wall for mounting framed pictures/artwork to but haven't done it yet.

All the magnets I use are powerful enough to pinch my fingers. It will be interesting to see if you can get your floating shelf to work and be able to hold items. Unless it's to display your origami collection.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
.... Or if you're repelling the shelf will just pop up or fall down....

Hmmm.

Not thought about the repelling angle. That might be winning concept. Then I could perhaps use more magnets to keep the gap uniform.

Some large ones for the weight of the shelf and some small ones for spacing.

I'm liking it. Seems to easy.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Vegas - I invented the floating LED Illusion Shelf... lol

You're insane, John.

So far my daughters 5'x9' bathroom has 8 switches, which doesn't include any for LED color/effect control. Sheeesh....

I hope I can build, and pull off what's in my head.

I wish we could find one crazy rich person to get us all together, and turn us loose on a project.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I doubt the magnets are any match for a setters arms. If they are, resort to the alternative, which is kicking and screaming until something gives. o_O

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks