"floaters in the shower"

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeownerJanet

Reaction score
I had a plumber come out and clean out my sewer main and said that he checked (and cleaned out) the toilets, tubs, showers and sinks in both bathrooms in my one story 1941 house. About two month later (about a week ago) I had him return because the garage sink and washing machine, which is on the same sewer line but are behind the house backed up. Today, for the first time I used the shower in the front bathroom and the water backed up almost immediately. And there were definitely floaters in there - it was not just water...

Is this a residue from the first time the plumber came out (and therefore covered) or is this something that was related to the activities with the drain in the garage? I have not yet used the washing machine or the sink in the garage.

Obviously I would like him to come back and make sure that the sewer main is completely unclogged, but there is a 30 day warrantee on the work and I am beyond that date from the first time he came out.

Is it possible that the plumber dislodged something while snaking out the garage sink (he says he came through the same sewer main...). Does he need to come back and snake the entire system again?

I foolishly installed a low-flow toilet in the bathroom (near the front of the house) and have had no end of problems with it. I finally called a plumber for a total clean-out of the entire sewer line, and since then this toilet has not backed up. The other toilet/bath/sink has never had a problem. I rarely use my showers because I shower at the gym and tend to conserve water religiously...

The toilet had never backed up into the shower before (and the house was built in 1941), and is not clogged now.

What do I do now?

Thank you.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes when your main line clogs feces and toilet paper get pushed up into the traps and branch lines. If your toilet in that same bathroom is not clogged then that's probably what happened.
If that's the case it should be a simple fix. You can try plunging the shower drain and if the clog is not packed too much it should break loose. You can also try sucking out the sewage with a shop vac if you prefer.
If the shower and toilet are blocked in the same bathroom then you have a clog past the point where they tie together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks