Flexibility of AC Unit Copper Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Nonlinear

Reaction score
I live in a townhouse complex where all the AC units are on the rear patio. The AC units sit on top of a wood "deck" which in turn sits on a waterproof membrane. The wood "deck" is not fastened to anything.

When the waterproof membranes start to go and need to be repaired or replaced I'm wondering how this is going to work due to the AC units. My thought is that if the AC unit can be suspended, maybe by running some lumber across the top of the wood dividers and hoisting it up with some rope, the wood "deck" underneath can then be moved to allow access to the membrane.

My question is how flexible are those copper hard lines that run from the AC unit to the exterior wall? If the AC unit is hoisted up several inches are they likely to break?

Along those lines, is there such a thing as a flexible hose that can be used between the AC unit and the exterior wall instead of copper tubing?

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 376

Stuff

Reaction score
The lines are flexible enough that the unit could be raised a couple of inches.

Ideally you would have a HVAC tech recover the refrigerant and remove the unit before the work. Then reinstall afterwards. How old is the unit? Maybe delay fixing the deck until getting a new system.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I agree, normally, it will bend a bit without damages. If you exceed its limits, though, you might kink the line and require replacement. When new, the copper is relatively flexible...it work hardens over time and movement, and gets stiffer. It would also somewhat depend on how long that line was between supports...the longer, the less of an angle you actually move it to raise the thing.

Nonlinear

Reaction score
The lines are flexible enough that the unit could be raised a couple of inches.

Ideally you would have a HVAC tech recover the refrigerant and remove the unit before the work. Then reinstall afterwards. How old is the unit? Maybe delay fixing the deck until getting a new system.

The AC units are about 10 years old. No offense to any HVAC tech's reading this but it would preferable to not require their services as problems with the deck or membrane will not always coincide with the end of life for the AC units. If the AC units could be hoisted a several inches allowing access to the deck and the membrane underneath it would be much cheaper for the corporation (it's a condo townhouse development) to repair/replace these things. The whole thing is just a bad design but I guess some builders don't consider or care about these kind of things.

I agree, normally, it will bend a bit without damages. If you exceed its limits, though, you might kink the line and require replacement. When new, the copper is relatively flexible...it work hardens over time and movement, and gets stiffer. It would also somewhat depend on how long that line was between supports...the longer, the less of an angle you actually move it to raise the thing.

The length of the straight part of the line is approximately 30". I might have to just bite the bullet and hope for the best...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to raise it much to slide new board underneath...but, if you need to nail them or screw them in place, that's a bit more of a problem!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks