Fleck5600 SXT Iron Filter & Softner

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinny3

Reaction score
Four weeks ago we installed this system. We've always had issues with hard, irony water and following installation the problem seemed to be solved. We've tested the water and all is good. Here's the problem, while we had great water pressure when the system was first installed, over the last 10 days we've had terrible water pressure.

There is plenty of pressure coming in from the well, it's after the system that we're loosing the water pressure. I don't know what changed between installation when we had great pressure and now. Are there any recommendations?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a water pressure gauge made to connect to a garden hose thread. They are generally under $20 and often significantly less.. Temporarily bypass the filter and check the pressure at the laundry tub or water heater during a brief flow that causes the problem. Stop the flow. Un-bypass the filter, and bypass the softener. Same pressure test.

That should isolate the problem. If neither makes the pressure normal, did you forget about a cartridge filter in the system maybe?

Vinny3

Reaction score
Get a water pressure gauge made to connect to a garden hose thread. They are generally under $20 and often significantly less.. Temporarily bypass the filter and check the pressure at the laundry tub or water heater during a brief flow that causes the problem. Stop the flow. Un-bypass the filter, and bypass the softener. Same pressure test.

That should isolate the problem. If neither makes the pressure normal, did you forget about a cartridge filter in the system maybe?

Just did what you suggested; I bypassed the entire system and had great pressure. Than bypassed just the iron filter and had great pressure through the softner. Once I tried to go through the iron system the pressure dropped off remarkably. Appears the issue is within the new iron filter - what could be the problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
Post what media is in the iron filter and how old it is. Post your controller info. Post the size of your iron filter tank. If you know it, post the DLFC info, which determines the rate of backwash. Others will be better able to answer that knowing those things I think.

You might measure the flow rate during backwash by directing the flow to a bucket during part of the backwash instead of to the drain. Knowing the amount of water that flowed and how many seconds, it is easy to compute the actual GPM of the backwash.

Triggering an extra backwash or two could help, but probably not since I presume your symptoms have been around for a while.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks