Fleck warranty question on brine tank

Users who are viewing this thread

mswin

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing either Fleck 5600sxt or 7000sxt, 32,000 grain. Looking deeper into the warranty it states the brine tank under 13" has the 10 year warranty, 14" and over is 5 year. Is that correct? Don't know a lot about water softeners - what criteria do you use to choose the size of the brine tank - benefit of each size? The online dealer lets you choose which one. I would rather pick the one with the longer warranty, but not sure of the benefits to a small vs. larger tank.

They also give you the option to choose the plumbing connection to be noryl, stainless or brass - which is best?

In choosing between the two models what is the main factor to consider? We don't have a newer larger home as the 7000 suggest it benefits. But I like the idea of better pressure and soft water refill on brine. Our home is older, 3/4" pipe, 3 bath with 3 people, so I'm sure the 5600 would work great. Just trying to weigh the benefits of the newer 7000 model.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just trying to weigh the benefits of the newer 7000 model.
Fleck disconnected the 7000 at the end of September 2016 with the promise that parts would be available for another 5 years or longer. There are still some in stock.

The brine tank is what holds the salt. The tank that holds the resin is the mineral tank. A small brine tank takes less floor space. A big one holds more salt. A round brine tank is a bit stronger. A square brine tank may use space better.

mswin

Reaction score
Thanks - I did mean that the 7000 might have more upgraded stuff, I did see that in your threads about 7000 valve ending. Didn't look like there was any issues with the valve, just going to the next best thing?

So if I get the smaller tank I would have to refill more often or is it really based on regeneration. Does bigger mean less regeneration, wasn't sure if the brine tank was part of that equation. We haven't had a water softener in 15 years, and then only for a few years in our first house, which was pretty much it's here keep filling it, so not recalling much of the process.

So do you feel the 5600 and 7000 both perform or does the bigger connections benefit any home, even average/less usage?

Thanks for you help - a little overwhelmed by all the choices.

Reach4

Reaction score
The 7000 has bigger passages. As you say, the http://waterpurification.pentair.com/en-US/product/fleck/5600sxt/ has a lot of capacity for a house that only has 3/4 inch supply. For filter use, the backwash rate can be too limited. But for softeners, the backwash rate is much less. The 7000 has the advantage of using soft water for refilling the brine tank.

A bigger brine tank might go 20 years between cleaning vs 10 years for a smaller tank. That will vary with how much salt you use. I like the pellets, such as Morton System Saver II. If you have moderate iron, I think the special rust/iron versions are worthwhile. Some like a feeder to provide iron treatment. If you have a lot of iron, then an iron filter before the softener is worthwhile. That filter can also take care of H2S and more.

Regarding warranties, note that all of the warranties are via the seller and not directly to the maker.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Brine tank warranty... if it is a Pentair or Clack USA made brine tank, don't worry about it, they almost never fail. The mineral tanks have 5-10 year warrantysand some of the really cheap junk systems now have "lifetime" but be aware. Most of the tank warranties are worthless since most of the Chinese made tanks require that you ship the tanks back to them at your cost. Then it is up to their discretion as to whether or not it gets warranted. High pressure, high temperature, vacuum, impact damage are not covered under warranty so most people wont risk the shipping cost to be told the tank is not warranted, especially when shipping is about the same price as the tank.

mswin

Reaction score
Brine tank warranty... if it is a Pentair or Clack USA made brine tank, don't worry about it, they almost never fail. The mineral tanks have 5-10 year warrantysand some of the really cheap junk systems now have "lifetime" but be aware. Most of the tank warranties are worthless since most of the Chinese made tanks require that you ship the tanks back to them at your cost. Then it is up to their discretion as to whether or not it gets warranted. High pressure, high temperature, vacuum, impact damage are not covered under warranty so most people wont risk the shipping cost to be told the tank is not warranted, especially when shipping is about the same price as the tank.
Looking at purchasing either Fleck 5600sxt or 7000sxt, 32,000 grain. Looking deeper into the warranty it states the brine tank under 13" has the 10 year warranty, 14" and over is 5 year. Is that correct? Don't know a lot about water softeners - what criteria do you use to choose the size of the brine tank - benefit of each size? The online dealer lets you choose which one. I would rather pick the one with the longer warranty, but not sure of the benefits to a small vs. larger tank.

They also give you the option to choose the plumbing connection to be noryl, stainless or brass - which is best?

In choosing between the two models what is the main factor to consider? We don't have a newer larger home as the 7000 suggest it benefits. But I like the idea of better pressure and soft water refill on brine. Our home is older, 3/4" pipe, 3 bath with 3 people, so I'm sure the 5600 would work great. Just trying to weigh the benefits of the newer 7000 model.

The 7000 has bigger passages. As you say, the http://waterpurification.pentair.com/en-US/product/fleck/5600sxt/ has a lot of capacity for a house that only has 3/4 inch supply. For filter use, the backwash rate can be too limited. But for softeners, the backwash rate is much less. The 7000 has the advantage of using soft water for refilling the brine tank.

A bigger brine tank might go 20 years between cleaning vs 10 years for a smaller tank. That will vary with how much salt you use. I like the pellets, such as Morton System Saver II. If you have moderate iron, I think the special rust/iron versions are worthwhile. Some like a feeder to provide iron treatment. If you have a lot of iron, then an iron filter before the softener is worthwhile. That filter can also take care of H2S and more.

Regarding warranties, note that all of the warranties are via the seller and not directly to the maker.
Follow up: Which is better Noryl or stainless steel bybass?
Benefit of a larger brine tank vs. a smaller?
thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Try putting noryl stainless bypass in the search box above.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Be careful, many of the low price companies use fake Fleck bypasses, both plastic and Stainless. If it a Fleck original, I prefer the plastic bypasses but either will do you fine.

Larger brine tanks are much nicer if you have the room for it. Don't bother with a grid. Most of the fake Fleck brine tanks use grids, this is used to hold the brine well in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks