Fleck softener not showing proper water usage

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Bixler

Reaction score
I have a fleck 5600 that shows the water usage icon on the display, but does now show the water usage in direct proportion to the recharge rate. For example: it may show 1800 gallons until the next recharge, but if I fill a 5 gallon bucket with water it will only drop down to 1798 gallons left recharge.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a 5600SXT. Look at what is between the controller body and the bypass. Is it a paddle wheel, or a turbine assembly?

index.php

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal in recognizing the anomaly. In the programming, set
FM = P0.7, instead of the current T0.7. The turbine is more common. The paddlewheel costs more.

Would you like suggestions for the other settings? If so, how much resin do you have or what is the height and diameter of the tank?

How many people, or how many gallons per day do you use? 60 gal per person per day is a commonly used number. What is the hardness. If well water, what is the iron and manganese?

Dan Bixler

Reaction score
Hah! Thanks a ton! That solved it, and yes I am wondering what to set the grain at. It is a 48,000 grain softener,but everything I read says that os 1.5 cubic feet of resin. I can see the shadow through the side of the tank at there is clearly more than 1.5 cubic feet

Dan Bixler

Reaction score
The tank is 55" to the bottom of the control valve and 32" in diameter. Also, it appears to be filled to 3 feet from the floor with resin

Reach4

Reaction score
Hah! Thanks a ton! That solved it, and yes I am wondering what to set the grain at. It is a 48,000 grain softener,but everything I read says that os 1.5 cubic feet of resin. I can see the shadow through the side of the tank at there is clearly more than 1.5 cubic feet
The 10x54 tank holds 2.2 cubic ft. Normally the resin should occupy about 2/3 of that space. That would come to 1.467 cubic ft.

The space above the resin is called freeboard.

Dan Bixler

Reaction score
Oops. Just realized I gave you circumference. Sorry. It really looks like it would be more resin, but what do I know. What should my grain setting be at?

Reach4

Reaction score
Oops. Just realized I gave you circumference. Sorry. It really looks like it would be more resin, but what do I know. What should my grain setting be at?
Depends on you BLFC (commonly 0.5 gpm) and the BF number. If 0.5, then here are the possibilities:

BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5

lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
5.000 ; 27.3 ; 5 Avoid unless you want to really save on salt
6.000 ; 30.0 ; 6 Use less salt; still good softening
7.000 ; 33.1 ; 7 Good compromise
8.000 ; 36.0 ; 8 Water a little softer; salt use still moderate
9.000 ; 38.5 ; 9 Extra luxury.

So how about the hardness and other info?

Reach4

Reaction score
How do those settings look?
While there are some double backwash 5600SXTs, they are fairly rare. Do you have reason to think you have one?

How much iron? That affects DO. If no iron, you could raise DO.

I bumped H to 24 to include high hardness compensation. If iron, increase more.

For the reserve, I selected 120 gallons. Adjust that if appropriate. Your method had 5%. That method is harder to understand, and requires tweaking if you change other settings. I also presumed single backwash softener.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 24 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 12.5 ; Computed days ignoring reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 24 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = P0.7 ; flow meter is Paddle Wheel

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you tell me how many gallons your current reserve is? I'll tell you... 36000/24*0.05=75 gallons... (if you change H to 24).

With city water, the iron will be gone by the time it reaches you, having precipitated out. You may see it at hydrant flushing time, however.

Dan Bixler

Reaction score
Not sure on the reserve number. What setting abbreviation is that? I did double check the city report and the hardness went up to 26. So, I changed that setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks