Fleck regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

moreira85

Reaction score
I had a kenmore water softener that I hated. I have a small amount of iron. Whenever it would regenerate the water would turn yellow/orange for awhile. I got the fleck 5600sxt and problem solved. It regenerates 1 time per week and crystal clear water for 5 wks. However last night I checked the brine tank and noticed it was out of salt. I added 2 bags around 5pm then it regenerated around 9pm. This morning I get up and notice the water is yellowish. I'm wintering if it didn't have enough time to make brine or if I should increase the back rinse time?

moreira85

Reaction score
I'm guessing the softener has to catch up and didn't create strong enough brine since the salt I added only sat in water for about 3 hrs?

Reach4

Reaction score
You did not say how much iron you have. Did you get a lot of fixture red staining? I recently got a Seachem MultiTest Iron Test Kit, and I like it.

http://www.superironout.com/water-uses.php Super Iron Out may be useful to you if the next regen doesn't make everything right. It cleans the iron from your resin.

moreira85

Reaction score
I Had 3ppm of iron. I did get some red staining in toilets before softener. I installed the fleck and perfect water for 5 weeks. Now all of a sudden every time it regenerates the first 20 gallons or so comes out dis colored/yellowish.
Wonder if I should change the settings currently
Backwash 10min
Brine draw 60
Rapid rinse 10
Brine fill 7min

Reach4

Reaction score
See http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm, which is listed in Gary Slusser's sig. Among the things is how to adjust the salt dose to compensate for iron. Read that page and the link a the bottom. Even so, you are going to have to clean your resin periodically to get rid of the iron. That is what the Super Iron Out does. Or get a filter that remove iron... not cheap.

I have 4 ppm of iron before my Centaur catalytic carbon backwashing filter. It now tests 0 ppm even before the water softener. So the softener has a much easier job than it would have had. Plus, that media also removes sulfur, which was noticeable before but not now.

For the Brine fill 7min interpretation, find the GPM marking near where the brine tube hooks to the Fleck. The amount of salt you use each regen is that number (maybe 0.25) times 7 minuutes times 3 pounds of salt. Thus you might currently be using 5.25 pounds of salt each time. With a 0.50 GPM gadget, you would be using 10.5 pounds. And that still might not be enough.

moreira85

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The gpm is .50 so I assume that's about 14 lbs of salt per regen. I already did use 1 cup of super iron out diluted in water with a regen last night. The iron test before I put in the softener was 3ppm and the hardness slightly hard. I set the setting of 17grains of hardness on the fleck. After I used super iron out the same thing happened after the regen-light yellowish water for about 10 to 20 gallons then it was crystal clear.
( like I said in previous post I noticed on Tuesday the brine tank was out of salt so added 2 bags at 5pm then regen at 8pm then on weds night I did another regen so that the new salt had 24 hrs to sit in the water and used super iron out).

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The gpm is .50 so I assume that's about 14 lbs of salt per regen. I already did use 1 cup of super iron out diluted in water with a regen last night. The iron test before I put in the softener was 3ppm and the hardness slightly hard. I set the setting of 17grains of hardness on the fleck. After I used super iron out the same thing happened after the regen-light yellowish water for about 10 to 20 gallons then it was crystal clear.
( like I said in previous post I noticed on Tuesday the brine tank was out of salt so added 2 bags at 5pm then regen at 8pm then on weds night I did another regen so that the new salt had 24 hrs to sit in the water and used super iron out).

Brine refill is 7 minutes at 0.5 GPM is 3.5 gallons. At 3 pounds of salt per gallon of water, you are using 10.5 pounds of salt.

From that page from Gary S, just your iron alone would be treated as if it were 4*4=16 grains of hardness. So if you actually had 17 grains of hardness and no manganese etc, you would have to apply salt as if you had 33 grains of hardness.

You really should go through the link, and the calculator at http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php

One of the things you should probably change in your 5600sxt also is Unit Capacity (Display Code C). That way your demand-based regen will be sooner if you down-rate the capacity as you probably should, and as you will probably conclude after working through those pages. That will let you save some salt vs going to a higher dose of salt each time.

moreira85

Reaction score
I have to really look into that calculator. It's a little confusing. A setting of 33 seems high for hardness? Since I had 3 ppm of iron I was calculating 5 grains for every ppm 3x5 = 15. My hardness of the water was 1 grain. So that's a setting of 16 on the hardness setting. (Although I set it to 17). Your saying I should set it up around 33?
I already have it set so that if it reaches capacity it will regenerate. It never comes close to reaching capacity.

Reach4

Reaction score
My hardness of the water was 1 grain.
OK... I had not even considered that as a possibility that your incoming water had 3 ppm of iron and only 1 grain of hardness. So given those numbers, your numbers make sense.

And yes, I was somehow thinking 4 grains of iron for you, when you clearly said 3. With the mistakes I make, its a good thing I don't do this for a living.

Reach4

Reaction score
You may find https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?53459-Fleck-5600-SXT-amp-hard-water of use.

With 1 grain of hardness, I wonder about the practicality of converting your system to use an anti-iron media rather than softener resin.

You would change out the backwash rate orifice to maybe 5 GPM. You would get rid of the brine refill cycle, and make some other changes.

What is the source of your water-- a rusty cistern fed by rainwater?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks