Fleck 9100 decisions

Users who are viewing this thread

eshank61

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe I have a Fleck 9100 (non-digital) that got stuck in regeneration last night. Valve head has probably needed rebuilt for 18 months +. It is 15+ years old. I will try to add some photos. I also realize I won't have the water test you will ask for. This is on a well in a 100 y/0 farmhouse. One photo shows a crack in middle drive shaft. I was up too late last night reading info here. Shaft probably broken due to stiff valves that weren't rebuilt. I am tempted just to replace the whole head ($650+), rather than rebuild kit + other parts $250+, based on age. We moved here 30 years ago. Thought back then was "water is hard enough (35?) that softener would cycle enough to help with iron. I have been planning to replace resin, since it is probably iron fouled. Resin is original. Any comments are welcomed. 20210521_101525_resized_1.jpg 20210521_101545_resized.jpg 20210521_101600_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
15 years probably exceeds the usual rebuild frequency. That same plastic-bodied valve is the same as what is offered today. Replacing the pistons, seals, spacers and O rings will likely restore full operation for a further 15 years. The photos are not very clear so difficult to tell which component is fractured to identify a replacement part number.

While you mention there is an iron problem, if the softener is continuing to satisfactorily remove iron, it would seem the iron amount is not excessive. Perhaps you have occasionally cleaned the resin utilizing an acidic resin cleaning agent such as Rescare or Iron Out, or salt containing an acid additive. The pH of the water will also influence the amount of iron that will accumulate on the resin beads.

If you don't know the amount of resin contained in each tank, we can assist to estimate if you provide the diameter and height of the resin tanka.

While a digital controller can make it simpler to program the unit and will allow some additional programming flexibility, if your existing controller continues to function properly and has been programmed appropriately, there may be little to be gained from the additional expense of obtaining a digital controller.

Once the resin quantity, hardness quantity, iron & manganese quantity, pH are known, along with info from any labels on the unit, we should be able to assist to calculate the correct capacity and salt settings.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,
I believe I have a Fleck 9100 (non-digital) that got stuck in regeneration last night. Valve head has probably needed rebuilt for 18 months +. It is 15+ years old. I will try to add some photos. I also realize I won't have the water test you will ask for. This is on a well in a 100 y/0 farmhouse. One photo shows a crack in middle drive shaft. I was up too late last night reading info here. Shaft probably broken due to stiff valves that weren't rebuilt. I am tempted just to replace the whole head ($650+), rather than rebuild kit + other parts $250+, based on age. We moved here 30 years ago. Thought back then was "water is hard enough (35?) that softener would cycle enough to help with iron. I have been planning to replace resin, since it is probably iron fouled. Resin is original. Any comments are welcomed.View attachment 73934 View attachment 73935 View attachment 73936

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
it's really up to you to rebuild or replace. They still sell that unit. does the piston move? Are the micro switches functioning properly?

eshank61

Reaction score
Sorry for poor photos and my use of improper terms. One phot shows a crack in my middle drive shaft. When plugged in, the motor is running and hot, but shaft does not turn. I think valves are stuck. I have tried to move gears by hand. Not sure if that is possible. I am in Nowthwest Ohio and trying to find out is MacDonald supply in Findlay, OH would have a replacement head. Looking online i see prices for this from under $300 to nearly $700? I have looked at other threads and will plan to get a proper test. If this local supplier does not work out could you give me a choice for ordering parts? Unit has cycled properly before last night. Pistons won't move.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry for poor photos and my use of improper terms. One phot shows a crack in my middle drive shaft. When plugged in, the motor is running and hot, but shaft does not turn. I think valves are stuck. I have tried to move gears by hand. Not sure if that is possible. I am in Nowthwest Ohio and trying to find out is MacDonald supply in Findlay, OH would have a replacement head. Looking online i see prices for this from under $300 to nearly $700? I have looked at other threads and will plan to get a proper test. If this local supplier does not work out could you give me a choice for ordering parts? Unit has cycled properly before last night. Pistons won't move.
take it apart, inspect the gears, cam, micro switches, injector, backwash flow restrictor, check timer motor operation, test drive motor, then pistons/seals and rebed. Honestly, in any case, i'd recommend larger tanks (10x54"). or buy it a new system. obviously wait for the water test results before proceeding.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 9100 is fairly bullet proof. The main problems have been the drive gear (5) breaking due to worn/seal/spacer/pistons. The rest of the valve is strong.
upload_2021-5-21_16-19-22.png

I agree with waiting to get a complete and updated water test. Use the link, check out well standard.
NTLWATERTEST

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks