Fleck 7000 XTR

Users who are viewing this thread

Dailo

Reaction score
Moved into a house that already had a Fleck 7000 XTR (doesn't seem common) softener installed, but seems like the water doesn't stay soft very long (using test strips). After a using a few hundred gallons , the water starts to get hard until I manually do a regen again. It is a 12" x 52" tank so seems like it should be sized appropriately, so not sure what else could be wrong. When power cycling the 7000 SXT, I have to "reprogram" the unit but the saved settings seem fine. Could the resin be bad, in the past I've only seen water pressure issues when the resin goes bad. The softener and brine tank was left outside for about a week when work was being done in the garage, so I am not sure if that may have caused some issues. I did a regen with Iron Out twice in the brine well to see if that was the issue, but doesn't seem to have helped. Have also verified there is no salt bridge in the brine tank. I am going to go broke adding salt if I can only get a few hundred gallons per regen!

City Water
BLFC: .250 GPM
Hardness: 20 GPG
Grains: 50,000
1st Backwash: 8 min
Brine Draw: 1hr
2nd Backwash: 5 min
Rapid Rinse: 8
Brine Fill: 12 min

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Could the resin be bad, in the past I've only seen water pressure issues when the resin goes bad.
Resin could be bad. Bad resin would feel mushy. With city water, use 10% crosslinked resin. But for now, correct the settings

I would raise the hardness setting to 22 for high-hardness compensation, even if you get new resin.Your capacity at your current brine setting is way too high.
I would do what it takes to raise the brine fill to 20 minutes, and to reduce the capacity to 46.6 or even 46. Other choices are reasonable, such as 21 minutes and capacity of 48.6 kilograins.

Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983
Here are some choices.
BLFC = 0.25
cubic ft resin = 2
Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
3.750 ; 32.2 ; 10
4.125 ; 34.2 ; 11
4.500 ; 36.0 ; 12 #where you are with 12 minute brine refill.
4.875 ; 37.7 ; 13
5.250 ; 39.2 ; 14
5.625 ; 40.7 ; 15
6.000 ; 42.0 ; 16
6.375 ; 43.3 ; 17
6.750 ; 44.5 ; 18
7.125 ; 45.6 ; 19
7.500 ; 46.6 ; 20 #where I would go to...
7.875 ; 47.6 ; 21
8.250 ; 48.6 ; 22
8.625 ; 49.5 ; 23

Dailo

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! I have adjusted per your recommendation and kicked off a regen, but I guess I'll need to kick off another one later since more water will not be in the tank with the higher brine refill? Also, if my BD is 60 minutes does this mean that I'll be using 45 LBs of salt per regen?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! I have adjusted per your recommendation and kicked off a regen, but I guess I'll need to kick off another one later since more water will not be in the tank with the higher brine refill? Also, if my BD is 60 minutes does this mean that I'll be using 45 LBs of salt per regen?
BD cycle has two parts. The brine gets sucked in until the brine has been sucked out, and the air check valve closes. That typically takes around 15 minutes of the 30. The remaining time is called the slow rinse, where water slowly pushes the brine through the resin, and the tank is rinsed of salt with slow laminar flow.

That timing is about what you would get with a #1 Injector - White.

If you had a #0 Injector - Red you would probably increase the BD time to maybe 80 minutes.

If you had a #2 Injector - Blue, that would not be my preference, but it is ok at BD=60. Probably a common choice.

If your injector is any other than these, let's discuss that.

Dailo

Reaction score
Ah okay that make sense and I guess that lines up with the chart you provided. So 20 minutes of BF should mean that about 15 lbs of salt consumed and available for next regen. Will report back to see how long the soft water will last with these settings.

Dailo

Reaction score
After a few days the water is still soft, so hoping that it will stay soft until the next regen needs to run. Thank you for the help!

Dailo

Reaction score
Unfortunately soft water didn't last too long and didn't make it to the next regen cycle, guess I will have to end up replacing the resin. Any good recommendations for a particular brand?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks