Fleck 7000 rebuild questions

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I've got a Cascadian ultrafilter that uses a Fleck 7000 XTR head. I just noticed that it's leaking water to the drain constantly, so I assume it's time to rebuild the valve. It's probably only around 6 years old now, but I'm not surprised given the condition of our water.

As I understand I need to order a seal & spacer kit, but I'm unsure whether it's normal to install a new piston at the same time. Its $20 for the seals and another $60 for the piston so I don't want to get one if I don't need it. Since this isn't a softener, I assume I would need the "filter piston" and not the "standard piston" which seems to be used with softeners. Just want to verify before I order, and I can't find much info online.

Any other info (like preferred source of parts) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Since this isn't a softener, I assume I would need the "filter piston" and not the "standard piston" which seems to be used with softeners. Just want to verify before I order, and I can't find much info online.
You can't necessarily assume that. It's probably the case, but its worth checking. Some filter applications, for example, will draw from a solution tank. That would require a softener piston I think.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41L7z7twAXL._AC_.jpg

You could inspect the piston, and decide if there is any damage. I have not done it, but I have wondered if turning the seals around could help.

You want some silicone release compound for lubing the new seals. A 5.3 ounce tube of Dow #7 release compound would last you a lifetime for softener and o-rings and etc.

SuperGreg

Reaction score
It does not draw from a solution tank, the attachment on top is capped off. It's just simply a backflushing filter. I thought about opening and checking the condition, but then I'd have to go to all the trouble to disassemble the unit twice, in which case I'd probably just order the parts :)

Thanks for recommending the silicone compound, I'll pick some up. I've been wanting to anyway, I have some small tubes that came with my other filters originally for installation and I'm just about out.

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Thanks, ordered a rebuild kit and will tackle when it gets here. Doesn't look too hard from watching a youtube video, but we'll see. :)

SuperGreg

Reaction score
Just finished this, took about 30 minutes. Couldn't have been easier. I have long fingers so maybe that helped out. Looks like the piston was shot, the outer coating was scraped off in several places. All good now, no leaks! Thanks for your input everybody.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks