Fleck 7000 advice regarding dual tank setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Bizzle

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a house about six months ago that has two Fleck 7000s (labeled as Pentair) on two tanks.

I haven't messed with the settings because the previous owner had used it fine for however many years or decades, but now I've noticed that one of the controllers seems to only have somewhere between 8-10 gallons of water after regen. It also almost never drops. Today it's down to 2gal left but unless I missed it, it took about a week to get from 8 down to 2. The first tank is showing ~3K gallons.

My question is whether that second tank is behaving normally or if I need to go through the settings and see what I can adjust to balance the two tanks more closely. The second part of my question is how do I search for help on this? Am I looking for "twin tank settings" or "dual head" or what? When I search things that seem related I'm getting more esoteric systems than I seem to have.

Reach4

Reaction score
The second one in line -- the one that counts down as you use water-- will be the softener. It is the one connected to the brine tank.

The first one in line will be a backwashing filter of some sort. These should operate fairly independently of each other, except that you want the RT (regeneration time) set on each so the regenerations do not overlap. So you might have the filter regen at 2:00am and the softener regen at 2:30 or 3:00. Regenerating the softener takes longer than it takes to regenerate the filter.

As you face the display, the incoming water will come into the right, and the treated water will come out from the left.

The one that takes 6 days to count down from 8 to 2 would be counting days. The night after the display says 1, it should regenerate. If you have city water, the filter probably contains a form of carbon. If it handles well water, then it could be something else.

Last edited:

Bizzle

Reaction score
Reach4, thanks! You nailed it.

I didn't trace the lines after your post but it sounds correct: slower one on the right, water countdown on the left, which is plumbed into my brine tank. Sounds like everything is setup correctly--glad I went here before I started "fixing" things that weren't broke!

Where can I read about this setup so I can know what the backwashing filter is doing? Oh yeah, and I'm on city water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get the 7000 service manual -- probably SXT. https://www.impactwaterproducts.com/fleck-valve-list
It is more of a reference than a cover-to-cover read.

For the softener, keep the top of the salt higher than the liquid, and you can fill much higher than that.

The carbon media should be replaced periodically. I am not sure what the best test of when that is needed would be, but since a big effect of this media is to remove chlorine or chloromine, a low range test of the processed water makes sense. Also test the raw water (outside faucets will have that) to understand how your test works.

Pool store might be a good place for a chlorine test, or if you carry two bottles of water in, they may test for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks