Fleck 5812 SXT Setup Woes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
The riser tube is normally cut-off flush with the top of the tank. Since your riser tube extends above the tank, it could become deformed from downward force when the control valve is threaded securely onto the tank.
Interesting idea.

Hmm...ok, so you think if I am able to cut it flush it might be ok? I did notice the top of the tube looked slightly deformed....but not a lot (you can see it in the picture that I posted where I measured it). I'm not sure if that looks like enough to be causing leakage.
How does the depth to the shoulder in that adapter socket compare to the flat surface at the base of the big threads?

Some digital calipers have a depth gauge that extends out as you open the jaws. Otherwise, you can insert a dowel and measure a mark on that.

Noimad

Reaction score
Oh lord this is becoming a nightmare. Ok, so I was able to confirm the tube is ok. I think it just pulled up a little when I pulled the valve off the first time. I was able to blow into the tube while pushing it down and it went back to being flush with the tank lip.

However, I'm still only getting about 10-12 seconds of fresh water out of the discharge tube during the brine draw. I'm a bit nervous about taking the valve apart to check the seal/spacer kit, as I just don't want to break something further. But would that be the last thing that could be the problem?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You do not need to cut the riser. It can be slightly above the neck. Take a look inside the valve and you will see the amount of height variance designed into the valve. Confirm it is within those tolerances.

Noimad

Reaction score
You do not need to cut the riser. It can be slightly above the neck. Take a look inside the valve and you will see the amount of height variance designed into the valve. Confirm it is within those tolerances.

Yea, I was able to actually push the riser back down to be flush with the tank. I think it just raised up a little when I pulled the valve up. However, I'm still only getting about 10-12 seconds of fresh water out of the discharge tube during the brine draw. I'm a bit nervous about taking the valve apart to check the seal/spacer kit, as I just don't want to break something further. But would that be the last thing that could be the problem?

Noimad

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread now, but I'm still having issues with this thing. I finally decided to disassemble the unit, and one thing I noticed is that it has a blue-dot piston on it, which according to online signifies it is an upflow piston. How can I tell if I should indeed have an upflow or downflow piston? Could that be causing this issue of the water turning salty after 10-12 seconds out of the discharge tube?

I noticed on the settings of the unit, it shows Regenerant Flow as DF1 (which shows in the manual as downflow). So now I'm wondering if I just need to change that setting, or if I have the wrong piston.

*Edit: After looking through the manual I also found that the injector is set in the upflow position. So I'm pretty sure this unit is upflow. So that leads me to believe that I have the wrong setting for the regeneration type.

Does the "upflow vs downflow" units have a different riser setup or anything like that? Or is only a matter of how the valve pushes the water through?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Same riser.

"Could that be causing this issue of the water turning salty after 10-12 seconds out of the discharge tube?"
I am not seeing how that would work. After you get the unit set up for upflow, if you still detect salt in the drain quickly, the problem is going to be the usual -- they did not use the right adapter for your distributor tube, or the tube is too short, or the o-ring is missing, or some other problem at the top of the distributor tube.

How big is your tank, and what color is the injector? You don't want an injector that is too big, and you may have to increase the BD time. What is your BD setting?

Noimad

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20220225_170028.jpg
    20220225_170028.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220225_170037.jpg
    20220225_170037.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220225_170126.jpg
    20220225_170126.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 86

Reach4

Reaction score
Good choice. I think I would go with 80 to 90 minutes for BD.

Lightly lube the piston and seals with Dow No. 7 Release Compound or Chemplex 862 Silicone Compound Lubricant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks