Fleck 5810 SXTs - Ran Softener and GAC Filter without upper baskets

Users who are viewing this thread

dagowey

Reaction score
This mostly pertains to my carbon filter, but hopefully since its a fleck 5810 others on here might have some insight.

So I just setup my two new Fleck 5810sxt, one being used as a carbon filter and the other as a water softener. The instructions we were given were quite short, and did not include a step to install the upper baskets. I should've watched some additional videos of other manufacturers but thought it might be distributor specific.

So when first ran water through the unpowered units, I could see carbon in my pex piping leaving the filter. Water was free flowing from the drain line in the carbon filter. I read online somewhere that a couple backwash cycles fixed their their unit that exhibited the same issues, and backwashing it was the next step in the installation. So I did a couple backwash cycles and still had that issue. Cut the water to it and emailed the dealer. They immediately asked if I installed the baskets to which I replied no. They said to do that, but there might be carbon in the drain control unit that is creating the issue. I removed the drain control unit and sure enough there was carbon in there.

Now when I removed the control valve from the tank to install the basket, the distributor tube lifted out of the gravel and carbon in the tank a couple inches. I saw some people online who used water pressure to seat the tube back down, but this was in a resin filled water softening tank, not a gravel filled carbon filtering tank. Pretty lost on how to salvage all this expensive carbon.

Meanwhile I also setup my water softener and it all seemed to work fine without the upper basket. But I haven't installed the upper basket yet for fear of lifting out this distributor tube as well.

So my questions are:

- If I dump all the gravel and carbon out into buckets from my tank, can I reuse this gravel and carbon somehow? How would I go about doing that?

-Did I lose a ton of resin and carbon when I ran the units without the upper baskets? Is there concerns about carbon getting from my filter into the water softening tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Now when I removed the control valve from the tank to install the basket, the distributor tube lifted out of the gravel and carbon in the tank a couple inches. I saw some people online who used water pressure to seat the tube back down, but this was in a resin filled water softening tank, not a gravel filled carbon filtering tank. Pretty lost on how to salvage all this expensive carbon.
No gravel? I would think that sending water into the top of the distributor tube via garden hose would blow a path to the bottom. Seems worth a try.

If I dump all the gravel and carbon out into buckets from my tank, can I reuse this gravel and carbon somehow? How would I go about doing that?
I would have a plastic sheet under the buckets to catch what gets spilled. You would not have to totally empty the tanks, but would need to get a path freed up while the tank was on its side.

You could also use a clean wet-dry vac to suck carbon out, I would think. Then tip to get the remaining media and gravel on the side. A piece of 1-1/2 or 2-inch pvc or abs could be duct-taped to the shop vac hose and go over the distributor tube. Or use some smaller pipe.

2-inch pvc/abs is 2.375 OD, and there is about 2.5 inch of clearance into the hole.

Did I lose a ton of resin and carbon when I ran the units without the upper baskets? Is there concerns about carbon getting from my filter into the water softening tank?
Normally the carbon will come up to 2/3 of the height between the end domes. If you are close to that, you did not lose much.

I am not speaking from experience.

This time, when you turn on the water, only open the valve a tad until flow stops. That valve could be the bypass. After flow stops as the tank is pressurized, open a faucet a bit to let air slowly escape, to avoid a blast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks