Fleck 5810 meter registering higher than actual usage

Users who are viewing this thread

petrelli11

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a brand new fleck 5810 water softener (1 cubic foot tank) 3 months ago. I have been suspicious that the water meter is registering higher than actual water usage. (e.g. I use 100 gallons and the fleck's display says I have used 160 gallons). I have been measuring and writing below down over last few weeks. For measuring actual water usage I have used a flow meter and also tested manually by letting water empty in a big bucket etc. I am very confident that I have been measuring the actual water usage accurately and I have done this over 3 weeks.

In summary, for every 1 gallon of water used, the fleck thinks I have used on average 1.75 gallons.

My questions are:

1. How do I rectify this? Is this a faulty meter or faulty programming?
2. Is this causing more frequent regeneration than needed? i.e. fleck thinks tank will empty soon and regenerates earlier than needed.

Relevant programming details given below.

DF = GAL
VT = 5810
RF =df2b
C = 20 X 1000
H = 8
RS = SF
SF = 5
FM=t1.2

Appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much

Reach4

Reaction score
One way to get phantom flow can be water traveling back and forth to your water heater thermal expansion tank, or similarly, your water heater (WH) expanding water runs back to city mains because your city water meter does not have a check valve.. One cure can be put. With a well, your pressure tank can take up the expansion. But that means water moving backwards, and the turbine notes flow -- not direction. A cure for this phantom usage is to put a check valve in series with the softener output, and put a thermal expansion tank on the WH.

There was a thread where one of the users made a custom setting to calibrate. Ah, here it is: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-fleck-5810-meter-inaccurate.77291/
That may fit your needs as it did Corey's on that thread.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks