Fleck 5810 Fe Filter drain issue

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
So fleck 5810sxt set up for iron filter.

Hear a constant draining of water all the time. Happened a few months ago and I removed the stack and rinsed it off and reinstalled. All was good.

Now it's doing it again. Took it apart and reinstalled and now it is full bore rinsing all the time. Did a manual regen a couple times and it goes back full rinse cycle.

I put it on bypass for now

What's next to replace? Or do? This unit is starting to tick me off. Doesn't seem to rid water of iron fully on top of these issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
I understand ticked off.

First, power cycle. Does that stop the drainage?

Piston may be broken, but I guess you would have seen that if you took it apart.

A new seal and piston would be the normal treatment. You could try inspecting the piston and turning the seal around to see if the symptom changes.

61956-03 is the typical piston and seal kit (yellow dot) that is used with a filter, although it is possible to have a filter that uses the softener piston. If your iron filter draws from a solution tank, that would probably be the case.

Lightly lube seals and piston with Dow Corning 7 Release Compound or Chemplex 862

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
It's not broken. Did check it out.

It's a softener valve, white dot. But doesn't draw from a tank.

I'll check about unplugging it

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
so, does anyplace sell just the spacers? like this? this says it's for the 5600 series so not sure if it'll fit the 5810. I found the piston/spacer assembly for the 5810 for $70. That spacer below is only $19, rather buy 3 of the spacers to have on hand when they fail again, but if at $70 each!!!!
1672758735434.png

Reach4

Reaction score
5600 seals are not interchangeable with 5810 seals. The 5810 seal thing is one piece, and the 5600 has separate seals and spacers.

Reach4

Reaction score
So is the spacer stack available for the 5810? I've looked but been unsuccessful so far.
I only know the part number of the pair. Since the 5810 can break pistons, maybe store the piston to deal with a future failure.

I went back to the 2016 version of the service manual to see if they had a separate part number for the seals. I do suspect a dealer can get the seal unit by itself.

I do have a suggestion... if the seal assembly is the problem, I would expect the symptoms to change if you reverse that assembly top for bottom.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fleck 5810 Filter Piston & Seal kit # 61956-03
Part # 3461956-03
The website for a softener parts supplier located within Florida indicates a limited quantity of that product is currently available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks