Fleck 5800 SXT Programming

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by TheUnknown, May 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM.

1. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

Two issues that I could use some expertise on...

The water level in the brine tank is just below the float by a few inches. This was set at 1.5 inches above the grate with no salt prior to start up. Maybe too much brine fill time?

I bought it from a dealer and installed myself. I'm not 100% sure on settings.

1.2-1.4 PPM Iron. 15 Grains Hardness. Well Water.

DF1B
    FD- Meter Delayed
    18,000 Unit Cap
    21 Hardness
    CR
    0% for Reserve
    7 day override run
    0200 AM
    10/60/8/24 BW BD RR BF
    P0.7
    OFF
    OFF

Thank you for your time!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

What is your tank size, 9x48, 10x54, or what?

What is your BLFC number? That value is probably on a sticker visible when you lift the cover, and look around.

Also confirm that you have a paddlewheel, as illustrated on the right side of page 17 of the service manual, vs the turbine shown on the left.

While you are at it, what is your injector number? Less important, but what does it say?

There is also the possibility that the label is wrong, but for now, let's presume it is right.

If you have no separate iron filter, expect to do some regular treatments/cleaning. Past posts that talk of Iron Out can be useful.

Last edited: May 1, 2021 at 4:39 PM
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

9x48. My old one was 10x40
    .12 GPM .37 #s Salt Min.
    Injector 000
    Drain Flow 3.1
    19121-01 so paddle from the owners manual.

I have a filter right out of the well that is a Omni T01.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Does that take out dissolved iron, or just solids?

6. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

• 10" Carbon wrapped cellulose sediment, taste and odor filter
    • Outer layers trap unwanted sediment and the inner layers reduce chlorine, tastes and odors
    • Manufactured out of cellulose paper that is impregnated with carbon fines providing an economically priced filter
    • Reduces sediment, tastes and odors for the whole house
    • Reduces sediment to 5 microns
    • Flow rate of 5 gallons per minute

Was here when we moved in 9 years ago. Haven't changed anything. Most people can't believe we are on well.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Do not use cellulose cartridges with non-chlorinated water. Bacteria grow on it. Use polypropylene or polyester elements.

I don't have numbers for a #000 brown injector, but I am confident that 60 minutes would not be long enough. If BD is too short, you may get residual salt in your water after a regen.

Last edited: May 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM
  8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Here is what I would think:
    SPECIAL System info (not programmed)
    salt lb/cuft : 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
    BLFC : 0.125 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
    cubic ft resin : 1.0 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
    Raw hardness : 20.0 ; including iron etc
    Estimated gal/day
    120.0 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
    Est days/regen
    9.0 ; presuming days each use reserve capacity

Fleck 5800SXT SPECIAL Settings:
    DF = Gal ; Units
    VT = 5810.0 ; Valve type
    RF = dF2b ; Downflow, Double Backwash
    CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
    C = 24.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
    H = 22 ; Hardness grains after comp factor
    RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
    RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons (adjust for your household)
    DO = 7 ; Day Override (typ 28 if no iron/Mn)
    RT = 3:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
    B1 = 6 ; Backwash 1 (minutes) [3...10]
    Bd = 90 ; Brine draw minutes #000 injector
    B2 = 4 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)[3...10]
    RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes [5...10]
    BF = 21 ; Brine fill minutes

9. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

Just curious as I know very little about water softeners. I get how they work, but not my specialty.

How come two back washes?
    Fixed reserve vs variable?

I also never noted this... Just two adults living here. One working from home.

Being that my brine tank seems a bit fuller than it should, should I do a brine draw and suck it down where it's approximately an inch above grate?

Thank you for your assistance.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Shakes up the resin after the brining.
    Some valves have Automatic, which has its strong points in that it learns that you take a lot of long showers on Saturdays or do lots of laundry on Mondays... Does 5800SXT even offer automatic? Looking at the manual, I now think that is not an option for 5800SXT.

While my 5810sxt offers that, I got impatient waiting for it to learn, and went fixed.

What I don't like is RC=SF. That makes the reserve a percent of the total gallons that can be softened. I see no advantage in that vs specifying the reserve in gallons. How does my wanting to change my hardness setting change my need for reserve gallons?

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 10:04 AM
  11. Bannerman

Bannerman Well-Known Member

If a 2nd Backwash is selected, that will occur after the Brine Draw cycle. A 2nd backwash will reclassify the resin (redistribute) which will improve performance when using an ultra low salt setting below 6 lbs per cubic foot of resin. If using 6 lbs+/ft3, then a single BW will be sufficient.

A fixed reserve will set the reserve to either a specific number of gallons, or a fixed percentage of the programmed Capacity. Variable Reserve will determine the water usage pattern over 6 weeks to determine the variance in water use for each day of the week. If for instance you normally wash laundry every Wednesday, the controller will recognize higher water consumption each Wednesday and will ensure there will be sufficient additional reserve capacity available for that day compared to lighter use days. Suggest programming for Variable Reserve if available, but expect the reserve amount will be odd and unpredictable while the 6 week usage history is being determined.

The amount of water to enter the brine tank is directly proportional to the amount salt brine needed to regenerate the Capacity that is programmed. For a 1 ft3 softener programmed to regenerate 24,000 grains Capacity, 8 lbs salt is needed. Each gallon entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt so to dissolve 8 lbs will require the Brine Fill setting to be 22 minutes (0.125 GPM BLFC X 22 minutes BF = 2.75 gallons X 3 lbs per = 8.25 lbs).

if you recently changed the salt setting to a lower amount from previous, the brine tank will then contain additional liquid, but that will be drawn out during the next regen cycle, and the current programmed amount will refill at the end of that cycle.

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM
  12. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

Gotcha! Sounds like I need to go reprogram the WS.

I appreciate your assistance.

I couldn't justify spending $600 to have this installed when I could easily install myself. Just didn't realize there were so many programming options.

13. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Many installers don't know how to program them.

14. TheUnknown

TheUnknown New Member

I programmed it last night as stated above and ran it. So far, so good.