Fleck 5600SXT Settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Spencer

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I bought the Fleck 5600 SXT Whole House Water Softener 48,000 Grains Ships Loaded With Resin In Tank, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MR6T2...abc_4907PGDWQMWVE78Z3A3Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I mainly have two questions.

1. My unit doesn’t seem to regen by itself anymore, or it just barely uses any salt. It’s set to regen on Sunday morning at 0200, but the faucet doesn’t blink letting me know it’s going to regen, when it was first installed it used to blink to notify me. Additionally, it barely uses any salt, and the water level always is like 2-3 inches over the salt in the tank.

2. I’ve posted my settings in case there’s a clear answer as to what I’ve done wrong.

DF = Gal
VT = dF1b
CT = Fd
NT = 1
C = 32
H = 7
RS = SF
SF = 10
DO = 7
RT = 2:00
BW = 10
Bd = 60
RR = 10
BF = 10
FM = P0.7 (I have validated that I have a paddlewheel flow meter)

thanks for anyhelp!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Its unusual to have the softener set to regen every 7 days, but that is not the question at this point. The display alternates showing the time of day with how many gallons remain in the volume count-down. Does the volume number count down as you use 10 or more gallons? Just looking for a data point there.

I would cause an immediate regeneration by holding in the "extra cycle" button for 5 seconds. That would do a 10 minute backwash followed by brine draw. See how far the brine draws down during brine draw.

Has the seller been any help?

Spencer

Reaction score
Its unusual to have the softener set to regen every 7 days, but that is not the question at this point. The display alternates showing the time of day with how many gallons remain in the volume count-down. Does the volume number count down as you use 10 or more gallons? Just looking for a data point there.

I would cause an immediate regeneration by holding in the "extra cycle" button for 5 seconds. That would do a 10 minute backwash followed by brine draw. See how far the brine draws down during brine

Has the seller been any help?

The installer mentioned most get set to 7 days, which I just agreed to. The gallons left and time do alternate, and it does count down as water is used.

When drawing brine from the brine tank, it sounds like it’s sucking a lot of air, and not solid pull of water. I’ve checked and don’t see anything clogged.

seller has not been a big help.

Reach4

Reaction score
When drawing brine from the brine tank, it sounds like it’s sucking a lot of air, and not solid pull of water. I’ve checked and don’t see anything clogged.
Has air been coming out of your faucets? If not, you are probably just hearing turbulence of the water flow.

I would trigger an immediate regen. After a 10 minute backwash, the BD cycle starts. Watch down the brine tube, and time when the brine has been drawn down as far as it is going to go. It draws down to about the middle of the air check valve, and that should take about 15 minutes. That is an important thing to check. Use a flashlight to look down the brine well.

Additionally, it barely uses any salt, and the water level always is like 2-3 inches over the salt in the tank.
You need more salt, it would seem, unless you are not drawing brine. Now if your brine is not getting drawn out during regen, then that is a problem that needs fixing.

Also, how many people using this soft water usually? What is the the hardness, and how did you come up with that number? Is this water from your own well, or is it city water?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Has air been coming out of your faucets? If not, you are probably just hearing turbulence of the water flow.
I don't agree. Pull the brine line out from the brine tank and stick it in a bucket of water to see if it draws and the sound lessens. The test is not conclusive since there could be a suction leak at the other end of the brine line.

For air trapped in the top of the media tank it would need to be entrained into the water stream and then later release. Any air trapped in the top of the media tank gets purged during the next backwash so it cannot accumulate over time. Also, air drawn in during brine draw is not under pressure since the drain line is open at the time. When the drain line closes and compresses the air, it will occupy much less space above the media.

If air is trapped above the media, you might hear water splashing when there is water drawn through the softener.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Care to agree with watching to see if the brine gets sucked down during a regen? ;)
I agree with watching to see if draws out all or most of the brine. Depending on how large of a suction leak there might be, it might not draw out the prescribed amount of brine.

You may recall I too had an issue with not enough salt use. In my case the problem was multifaceted but did include a suction leak that in and of itself should not have prevented enough brine draw but might have when combined with a stuck air-check float.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/salt-use-down.92430/

Spencer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I’ll do a manual regen tonight.
It’s just my wife and I, first kid due in Feb.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I’ll do a manual regen tonight.
It’s just my wife and I, first kid due in Feb.
1. What is the the hardness, and how did you come up with that number?
2. Is this water from your own well, or is it city water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks