Fleck 5600SXT Programming Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a Fleck 5600SXT 48k unit installed. The system is currently being used to clean up well water, which contains a small amount of iron / manganese. I am familiar with the concept of salt efficiency, and considerations related to iron, resin and regular backwash, but am hoping someone more experienced with these units might be willing to provide a little guidance in programming the device to the best possible settings. Specs are as follows:

Fleck 5600SXT 48k, fine-mesh resin @ 1.5lb
PH: 7.5
Hardness: 16GPG
Iron: 0.2
Manganese: 0.16
(adjusted Iron & Manganese values are included in total hardness calculation, above)

There are two people in the house, currently using about 125-150 gallons per day (combined total).

I understand that I should reprogram the unit to use six to eight pounds of salt per regeneration, and that doing partial recharge of a larger unit is more efficient than fully charging a smaller unit. From what I have read, it seems like adjusting (reducing) the "C" (capacity setting) on the unit may accomplish this, but hoping someone can confirm, or provide values for this and other associated settings that may need to be adjusted (brine fill, etc.).

In consideration of iron and manganese volumes above, I would also be interested in any recommendations regarding how often I should backwash the unit, or if/how I should program the override. To be clear, I am not opposed to reducing the capacity so that salt use is reduced and backwash naturally occurs on a more frequent basis, particularly if this would benefit the unit.

People on these forums seem to have some good experience - any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
You don't have a small amount of manganese. Yours is over 3x the 0.05 SMCL.

(adjusted Iron & Manganese values are included in total hardness calculation, above)
Which formula?
Anyway, I added some high hardness compensation to your 16.

I am not sure if the DO=28 would be too long, but I left it there.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Compensated hardness = 18 ; including any compensation
People = 2.375 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 143 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 13.99 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:

DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 18 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 143 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = ____0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/

Reaction score
Thanks! I will give these values a shot. And, right on the manganese - forgot MCL is hundreds rather than tenths. CaCO3 hardness is about 14 gpg - used the 5x formula to adjust iron (e.g., 0.2ppm x 5 = one grain). I think I read somewhere the same would roughly apply to manganese.

I haven't found information which mentions specific quantities or ppm's, but have read that, with iron in general, backwash should typically occur no more than every seven days. The sediment filters we use are always heavily stained with iron within the first few weeks, so I may try and adjust the override to prevent any similar buildup from impacting the resin.

If anyone else who stumbles onto this post has thoughts on override, use of products like Iron-Out salt, or any related recommendations, I'd be interested to hear them.

Reach4

Reaction score
I haven't found information which mentions specific quantities or ppm's, but have read that, with iron in general, backwash should typically occur no more than every seven days. The sediment filters we use are always heavily stained with iron within the first few weeks, so I may try and adjust the override to prevent any similar buildup from impacting the resin.
I have seen that 7 days for maybe 10x more iron than you have. I would go at least 14 days with your 0.2 ppm iron.

If anyone else who stumbles onto this post has thoughts on override, use of products like Iron-Out salt, or any related recommendations, I'd be interested to hear them.
I would say to search for old posts that contain "iron out" in the softener forum, but the search ignores words shorter than 4 letters. So that won't work.

Iron OutRust Stain Remover is good. It can be used to remove rust stains, clean the valve, and mixed with salt. However citric acid can be mixed with the salt instead, and it smells better. You can search for "citric acid" with the quotes in the softener forum. https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...mover-9-5-lb/io10n/p-1444444183163-c-7097.htm

IO10N.jpg

The iron handling salts are mainly different because they contain a bit of citric acid. If you add about a tablespoon of citric acid to a bag of salt, I think you would have more citric acid than comes in the special iron handling versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks