Fleck 5600SXT problem: Not enough outgoing water to feed a washer

Users who are viewing this thread

fandi

Reaction score
Hello All,
I installed a Fleck 5600SXT 3 years ago. The system works fine until recently not enough water coming out of the Fleck. Since last month, 2 showers at the 2 bathrooms can't be used at the same time as little water would come out from both showers. Yesterday, while no one in the family uses water from showers/faucets/toilets and still not enough water to feed the washer (I got 'nF' code from the Samsung washer). Switched to bypass and two showers can be used at the same time or the washer can run just fine.
Can you tell me what parts of the Fleck would cause the problem?
Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Resin bad could do it.

If you are using city water, what resin did your softener come with? Replace that with 10% crosslinked resin, and add gravel if you cannot reclaim it from the softener resin tank when you dump/suck out the old resin.

If this is well water, what is the iron and manganese content of your raw water?
I am not a pro.

Last edited:

fandi

Reaction score
Resin bad could do it.

If you are using city water, what resin did your softener come with? Replace that with 10% crosslinked resin, and add gravel if you cannot reclaim it from the softener resin tank when you dump/suck out the old resin.

If this is well water, what is the iron and manganese content of your raw water?
I am not a pro.
I use city water. Isn't resin supposed to last much longer than 3 years?

Reach4

Reaction score
I use city water. Isn't resin supposed to last much longer than 3 years?
Yes. Higher chlorine is harder on resin. 6% crosslinked resin is less resistant to chlorine than 8% which is less resistant than 10%. Even if I had prediction numbers, that would depend on the chlorine level as an important number.

Does your dealer warranty the resin?

There could be something else causing the problem, for all I know.

I suggest you identify your tank size, such as 54x10. Then start a backwash, and measure the rate of backwash water from the drain line. That would typically be 2.4 GPM. One way to measure that is to time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Another way is to play the water into a bucket for 60 seconds, and measure/weigh the water.

Has your softening been good?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is very common practice for companies to use the cheapest resin they can source in order to be the lowest price. it is not uncommon to see resin last only 6 months to a year if the chlorine levels and water usage are high. Years ago when I was working for a service company one of our suppliers had what they called "floor sweepings". This was the garbage resin that wouldn't pass any specification. it was sold to mostly online resellers who didn't plan on being in business for too long. This junk should only be used in disposable cartridges but many companies bought it due to its extremely low cost.

Low pressure is most often caused by bad resin. Replace your resin and riser assembly and you should be fine. I would also replace the gravel, who knows what the company you bought the equipment from used for these items.

Even good resin can last a very short amount of time. Chlorine damage is cumulative so if you are close to the chlorine injection point you could have chlorine levels in excess of 2-3 ppm. Those farthest from the injection point may be as low as .5 ppm, so theoretically you could have up to 8X the chlorine level as someone just a couple miles away from you.

fandi

Reaction score
Yes. Higher chlorine is harder on resin. 6% crosslinked resin is less resistant to chlorine than 8% which is less resistant than 10%. Even if I had prediction numbers, that would depend on the chlorine level as an important number.

Does your dealer warranty the resin?

There could be something else causing the problem, for all I know.

I suggest you identify your tank size, such as 54x10. Then start a backwash, and measure the rate of backwash water from the drain line. That would typically be 2.4 GPM. One way to measure that is to time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Another way is to play the water into a bucket for 60 seconds, and measure/weigh the water.

Has your softening been good?
Yes it has been good. Do you think maybe a valve or piston need to be serviced/cleaned?
I bought this:
http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/Fleck_5600SXT_Meter_32000_p/f-r32-56sxt.htm
They claim 8 % crosslinked. I don't see resin warranty other than 5 years on valve and 10 years on tank. I called them this morning and they simply said I need to call a local water softener technician. To me it seems like they ask me to never call them again.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes it has been good. Do you think maybe a valve or piston need to be serviced/cleaned?
It seems unlikely to me.

I would call my water department, and see if they use chloromine or chlorine. If chlorine, I would get some low range free chlorine test strips. If chloromine, I would get some low range total chlorine test strips.

I would start shopping for 1 cubic ft 10% crosslinked resin and maybe 10 pounds of softener gravel to go into your 9x48 tank. Watch videos. Buy or make a funnel.

Some people put another tank that looks like another softener to remove chloromine or chlorine in front of the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks