Fleck 5600sxt or 5810sxt

Users who are viewing this thread

Shift

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new softener and aio iron filter. I have decided on a fleck valve. Wondering if I should go with the 5600 sxt or if its worth upgrading to the 5810 sxt? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
How much media and what kind?

The 5600SXT is limited to around a 7 GPM backwash. That is not quite enough for a 10 inch tank with Katalox Light.

Another one to consider is the 5800SXT. It is 3/4 connections like the 5600SXT, but it has more backwash thruput.

I don't know how AIO affects this.

Shift

Reaction score
How much media and what kind?

The 5600SXT is limited to around a 7 GPM backwash. That is not quite enough for a 10 inch tank with Katalox Light.

Another one to consider is the 5800SXT. It is 3/4 connections like the 5600SXT, but it has more backwash thruput.

I don't know how AIO affects this.

1.5 cubic foot, katalox.

Reach4

Reaction score
1.5 cubic foot, katalox.
You would not want the 5600SXT for that, unless your backwash water was about 50 degrees or colder.
img_kl10.PNG

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Definitely the 5810 over the 5800 or 5600. The 5810 can backwash up to 25 GPM without using any goofy external DLFC housings. AIO... these are very problematic. Most companies don't discuss all the issues with them. We try to avoid them but we still sell a lot of them. I would recommend something else. If you read through some old posts you will find the most common problem is constantly having airy water. Many people simply get used to it but... it is annoying. Also the air chamber portion of the tank gets heavily fouled with iron and requires regular cleaning. Fortunately the 5810 is extremely easy to tear down and clean/repair.

Shift

Reaction score
Hardness 11 gpg, TDS 220 ppm, iron 5 ppm, manganese .5 ppm. Flow 10 gpm.
Was thinking of 1.5 ft3 units?

Reach4

Reaction score
Also what are some reputable dealers ? Not much in my area. Thanks
If you are interested in having equipment shipped, I suggest that you send a message ("conversation") to Ditttohead. He can refer you. The person he recommends will be very knowledgeable. You would install, or have a plumber who does not insist on selling you the equipment install. There are lots. Flex stainless Falcon connectors can make self-install easier.

There are other dealers who will sell via email and phone. afwfilters.com is one. You would need to email or phone them.

ditttohead

Reaction score
I work with many dealers around the world, many are pretty lousy, a few are exceptional. I sent you a PM. Please feel free to contact me.

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
A softener alone should be able to get rid of both hardness and iron here right?

All these conditions are met.
  • Since hardness is 11 gpg, a cation softener can treat up to 5.5 ppm of iron (Shift's concentration is less)
  • Manganese concentration is less than 1 ppm.
  • Manganese concentration is less than 1/4 of iron concentration.
So there is no need of oxidation. Ion exchange alone is sufficient. ditttohead please correct me if I'm wrong.
Let me know the daily water use in gallons and we can calculate the resin volume, tank size and salt usage per month.

I personally like the 5810 XTR2 controller since it's touchscreen and has 2 auxiliary relays to control other equipment when it's regenerating.

"Hardness 11 gpg, TDS 220 ppm, iron 5 ppm, manganese .5 ppm. Flow 10 gpm, Ph is 7.5"

ditttohead

Reaction score
Softeners can remove iron to nearly limitless levels. A Honda civic can theoretically tow a 30,000 pound trailer. Should it? Each ppm of iron is compensated at 85 ppm of hardness. It would be difficult to find a less efficient method of reducing iron from water. It also requires high salting, frequent regeneration, etc which further reduces efficiency.

Unfortunately the 5810 should not be used for AIO. It has a quirk in the injection system that allows the air to leak out during service. I would highly recommend using the 5810 with h2o2 injection at these levels or use an air injection (micronizer) and a small contact tank with air bleeder.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/46-47

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks