Fleck 5600SXT 1.5cu Setup w/ Kar90 results

Users who are viewing this thread

CallowPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I recently purchased a water softener. The house has not been softened for around 5 yrs now. After receiving the lab results and being fed up with the hard water issues I figured a water softener was my next purchase. I am looking for some feedback on the best settings for my system. It is just the wife and I at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Key Kit results:

Hardness (GPG) = 23.9

Sulfur: 19.6 mg/L

Manganese: 0.13 mg/L

Iron: 0.28 mg/L

TDS: 560 mg/L

Note:

I do have rust stains in the toilet fixtures as well as Iron bacteria. I imagine that might be due to being left untreated all these years. I plan to clean out the hot water tank, and chlorinate the lines prior to plumbing in the softener.

Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Set the hardness to (23.9*1.2)+(0.28*5)+(0.13*2)=30.34 (round up to 31).
Give your softener iron-handling salt and/or use a Res-Up or ResCare feeder. Expect to do some cleaning in the future without an iron filter.

A softener by itself will not treat H2S smell.

I would sanitize after the plumbing work, including the softener. There are probably instructions for the brine tank in the softener service manual. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my deep well and plumbing sanitizing suggestion.

For help with other settings, say the amount of resin or tank size, and identify the reserve at an estimated 60 gallons per person.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
5600SXT controller usually has 0.5 gpm DLFC (first line on label in this photo).

The 7 day DO is due to iron. Changing the salt setting to allow 8 pounds per cubic ft of resin would give slightly softer water. Cali would like you to use something like 5 or 4 I think.
index.php

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 6 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 31 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 8.1 ; Computed days ignoring reserve
Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 30.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 31 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 7 ; Day Override, set to 7 due to moderate iron
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 6 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there
(FM if in doubt see : http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/)

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
One last question if I wanted to use 8lb/cu ft what parameter would I change, is that BF?
Yes. BF would go to 8. But C (capacity) could then go from 30.0 to 36.0 grains also.

At 1.5 cuft of resin and 0.5 BLFC, the BF happens to match the lb/cuft. That is not the case for other amounts of resin.

CallowPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
We are rocking with soft water now!!! Should I hear a trickle of water in the resin tank when a faucet is turned on? There doesn't seem to be anymore air in the lines, but I'm not sure if the trickle sound is normal. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks