Fleck 5600 Water Softner

Users who are viewing this thread

EMT

Reaction score
Hi
Just purchased a new Fleck 5600 10 x 54 Valve and Iron Filter system. It was installed by a local water company but I have numerous questions and concerns. Can you help?
No paperwork was supplied to indicate the product was new. No boxes or warranty paperwork. Fleck is not stamped or listed anywhere on the valve, tanks, etc.
I did look up pictures of the Fleck valve online and it does look the same but the tanks both say Clack. I specified the tan tank because of reviews of tan vs black. However, I cannot figure out why the technician would bring Clack tanks in the first place. Is this normal ?
Obviously I have trust issues with this individual for a variety of reasons I would not digress into on this forum. However, I just want to know I got what I paid for. The results are still out on the installation since it was just installed late yesterday. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just purchased a new Fleck 5600 10 x 54 Valve and Iron Filter system.
Such a home system is never fleck as far as I know. The system uses a Fleck controller. Normal.

I don't know the programming for the 5600 well. I read about it, and pretty much forgot. It is set up mechanically, and the settings are more limited than with the 5600SXT. IIRC, the 5600 economizer does not take into account the reserve required, so you subtract the reserve before entering the capacity.

There is the kind with a metering unit (Econominder, preferred for softening), and there is the kind with a timer (for the filter). http://www.softenerparts.com/Fleck_5600_Valve_and_Parts_s/30.htm See the service manual link.

What do you know about the iron filter? Do you know the media? Are you hoping to double-check settings etc? Or do you want to presume the water company knows what to do. They probably do know just fine. There can be difference in how things that are set up and still be correct.

I specified the tan tank because of reviews of tan vs black
Why do you prefer tan vs black? I would be interested in hearing the reasoning. Is this for a basement, a room with a window? or what? I would prefer black instead of tan myself unless the room is dark. Natural tan has the advantage that you can potentially pass a light through it and see bed expansion. Black blocks light and does not let grow algae, which would be more of an outdoor thing. I would sanitize my well and all of my plumbing when the installation is done. A sanitized system should not grow algae either, because there would be no living algae to grow.

However, I cannot figure out why the technician would bring Clack tanks in the first place. Is this normal ?
Normal. You may have other things to worry about, but that should not be one of them.

Last edited:

EMT

Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice I can get.
The tan Fleck tanks were supposed to be better rated based on build. It was something I read through online reviews. I know Clack is well received and considered to be a good choice. However, I was concerned because after exhaustive research I bought based on that process. Since I specified and bought what I thought was a complete Fleck 5600 System I just assumed all parts and comments would be Fleck with standard marking for identification. I do not have all specifics on the iron well and media because I do not have any paperwork supplied on those specifics but I will get clarification . I will read the supplied link with the manual and appreciate that response. In the end I wanted some kind of assurance that I got what I paid for. I guess I will just have to see how well the system works in the long hall and get a second opinion from another certified representative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks