Fleck 5600 SXT water needs to run until it's good to drink

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott or Julie

Reaction score
We have a 5600 SKT-40M, with upgraded resin to SST-60 resin. A Mediaguard KDF filter 85 for well water was added.
We have to run the water for 30 - 60 seconds to be able to drink it. It is an unpleasant taste and smell. Something like a chemical taste, maybe it absorbs something. It, the unpleasant taste, comes back fairly quickly. Regeneration only makes it a little better, still not drinkable without letting it run. Our water was always drinkable with the Culligan that we had leased for years unless we ran out of salt. We wanted to own a new softener.

Anyone have a clue? Haven't found anything on this forum, although we haven't gone thru the whole thing.
It would be nice to hear if anyone has any experience with this situation before calling the company.

Thank you
Scott & Julie

Bannerman

Reaction score
Was everything OK for a time after installing the new softener or did this start directly upon installing the softener?
Did you disinfect the resin with a mild chlorine solution directly following installation?
If the resin wasn't disinfected, you may wish to try adding 1/2 cup unscented chlorine (Chlorox) to the brine tank and then initiate a manual regeneration. Monitor afterward to see if there is any improvement.
I recall prior posters experiencing similar issues with SST-60 resin. I also seem to recall disinfection may not have helped and in returning a sample of resin to the supplier, a problem with the resin was identified and so the resin was replaced.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/plastic-smell-with-softener.67090/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/bitter-odor-only-after-softener.62801/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/suddenly-bad-taste-fleck-5600sxt.57053/

Scott or Julie

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman, for your reply and links

The water was fine for a while after the installation.
The resin was not sanitized after installation

1/2 cup of bleach has been added to the brine tank and regenerated.
Will monitor and report back.

Scott or Julie

Reaction score
Thought we should check in here. We added bleach a couple of times but it didn't make a difference. Then we just dealt with it. Just recently sent a message to the place we bought it from haven't heard back. If anyone has a clue, pass it on. I will post what we find out and what is suggested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks