Fleck 5600 SXT Time Display Flashing

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterme4444

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 5600 SXT.

Someone please tell me if this is normal operating:

After the regeneration the LCD display goes back to alternating between the current time and gallons of soft water remaining. This looks good. The manual says it is supposed to do this.

Here is what is puzzling me and I can not find in the manual. After awhile in this alternating mode between gallons and time, the time starts to flash for a total of nine times each time the time shows in this alternating mode. The gallons remaining does not flash, just the time ----- and the two alternate back and forth like they are supposed to do. Anything to this or is this normal??

I have it set for meter regeneration with a day 7 regeneration if there are remaining gallons of water or softener capacity.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The programming has been updated regularly so little things like that are hard to say for sure without knowing the revision. Regardless, if it is working, don't worry about it. I would change the Day Override to less frequent unless you have a known issue that would require frequent regenerations. Typical O setting is 14-28 days. The pre-cursor to the 5600SXT, the electromechanical valve has no override, never been a problem.

Waterme4444

Reaction score
The programming has been updated regularly so little things like that are hard to say for sure without knowing the revision. Regardless, if it is working, don't worry about it. I would change the Day Override to less frequent unless you have a known issue that would require frequent regenerations. Typical O setting is 14-28 days. The pre-cursor to the 5600SXT, the electromechanical valve has no override, never been a problem.

Thanks for the info. I set it for the day override (DO) of day seven since I have iron in the water. It is my understanding this was the good thing to do with .5 ppm iron. Tank is 1.25 cu ft. for family of three hardness of 15 grains. Setting is for 18 grains for the iron compensation.

Waterme4444

Reaction score
Version is 3

Fleck 5600SXT is version 3.

It did something strange last week. The faucet icon was flashing ----- indicating that the queue was started. I had a 2:00 a.m. regeneration time. The queue flashed for three days so I tried something. I changed the time to five minutes later from the time I had while standing there. In five minutes the queue took and went through the regeneration cycle. This has baffled me why this did this. Is there something that will cause the queue to hang like this?

Last edited:

Waterme4444

Reaction score
I was on the phone with Pentair Fleck. They tell me that a flashing time is NOT normal. It flashes nine times and then gives the gallons of soft water left, which does not flash. I have also had my day override (DO) ignored. With the day override the service icon (a faucet icon) flashes when the system is to regenerate at the programmed time. My unit ignored the DO and on day three of the flashing icon I call Pentair Fleck. Antonio Gonzales, a technician, told me the board was either bad OR I could be having power problems. He told me to try powering from a completely different plug before condemning the unit. I am trying power , now, from a completely different source to verify if the unit will straighten around. I should add that I have done a master reboot a number of times already with the same troubles reoccurring.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Agreed, sounds like the board is not functioning properly. These boards have been bulletproof. I have had to replace maybe 2-3 boards in the past couple years, out of thousand we sell, so better than almost any other board out there.

Waterme4444

Reaction score
Agreed, sounds like the board is not functioning properly. These boards have been bulletproof. I have had to replace maybe 2-3 boards in the past couple years, out of thousand we sell, so better than almost any other board out there.

I did try the OR of above. Antonio Gonzales of Pentair Fleck had not originally told me about this, but then called back fifteen minutes later and suggested trying this first since if the unit tests okay on return, I would absorb the cost of the warrantied board. So, I powered up on a different circuit. To my amazement, the blinking disappeared. In careful examination of the wiring to the original circuit, I found the wiring had become damaged. The damage was almost imperceptible. I will now watch this carefully to see if the regeneration cycle will activate as it is supposed to do.
I am thankful Mr. Gonzales was kind enough to call back and offer this extra suggestion. So, if the time display blinks, it means there is a problem.

Also, thanks for the settings idea. I am going to try this. Again thanks.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Keep us posted. I have received a few boards back from the 5600SXT, nearly all of them sit on my test bench for a few weeks, and work flawlessly. Bad power, circuits on a light switch, even a house with a bad neutral line to the power pole behind the house... rarely do we get a 5600sxt board back that is actually bad.

Reach4

Reaction score
In careful examination of the wiring to the original circuit, I found the wiring had become damaged. The damage was almost imperceptible.
Remarkable.

I think you need to get a multimeter to check your electrical system see if you can see any voltages that are anomalous.

When you posted that the tech suggested that you should try a different circuit, I did not expect that to be productive.

Waterme4444

Reaction score
Remarkable.

I think you need to get a multimeter to check your electrical system see if you can see any voltages that are anomalous.

When you posted that the tech suggested that you should try a different circuit, I did not expect that to be productive.
I do have a confession to make that is embarrassing. I had been using an orange extension cord for the last 27 years without a problem. Where the female plug end meets the cord I found a strain separation beginning to take place. I am have installed a GFCI and box, new Romex and am about to finish connecting to an electrical box in the basement. My Romex is 12/3 and will be good for any load.

Waterme4444

Reaction score
Keep us posted. I have received a few boards back from the 5600SXT, nearly all of them sit on my test bench for a few weeks, and work flawlessly. Bad power, circuits on a light switch, even a house with a bad neutral line to the power pole behind the house... rarely do we get a 5600sxt board back that is actually bad.
Okay, here is what I now have. A new circuit with a GFCI for the Fleck 5600SXT valve. The clock is doing what it supposed to do, that is, not blink. By the way, I have version 3.0 of the Fleck 5600SXT. If I unplug or have a power interruption, the time starts to blink. To stop the blinking I have to push the recycle button (far left button) once. The book does not tell the why of this blinking, that is, it is a warning or how to clear it. I have proved it by trial and error. I now consider this whole matter resolved and I am very glad I didn't send a good unit back.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, it is nice to know the resolution. The blinking is a simple indicator to tell you the power was lost at some point. Just like a VCR :)

H2O.Aquaman

Reaction score
The blinking of the time indicates that there has been a powerfaillure.
To get the blinking to stop you simply have to push the recycle button if the time is correct or one of the arrowbuttons to go to the correct time and then once on the recycle button to confirm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks