Fleck 5600 SXT Setting North Tx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Denny L.

Reaction score
2 Adults
10 x 54" Tank 10% Resin 20 x 30 Brine Tank .5 GPM Valve unknown Insert color. Paddlewheel meter.
All New Equipment.
I need to set it up as New Install.
It's got 160 Lbs. of Salt completely covered and water filled to just below overflow tube.
Water Report included from City...
Garland's water is considered hard. The hardness levels can change from month to month, but averages 161 milligrams per liter or 7.0 to 10.5 grains per gallon.

upload_2021-7-27_8-25-6.png

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
"It's got 160 Lbs. of Salt completely covered and water filled to just below overflow tube."
I hope that does not mean that the salt is completely covered with water. You added too much water initially.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 8 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.5 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Compensated hardness = 10 ; including any compensation
People = 2 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 120 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 30.00 ; Computed days including reserve

Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/, Single Backwash, black cam
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 36.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 10 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 120 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 30 ; Day Override (28 if no iron)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 8 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = P0.7 ; https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5
Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
5.000 ; 28.7 ; 5
6.000 ; 31.5 ; 6
7.000 ; 33.9 ; 7
8.000 ; 36.0 ; 8
9.000 ; 37.7 ; 9
10.000 ; 39.3 ; 10

Bannerman

Reaction score
now i gotta get it out..
Just perform a manual regeneration. All of the brine will be transferred to the resin tank, and the correct quantity of fresh water (0.5 GPM X 8 minute BF = 4 gallons) will be added to the brine tank at the conclusion of the cycle.

When the correct quantity of brine is prepared for the capacity to be regenerated, all of the brine will be transferred to the resin tank within approx 15-minutes, allowing the remaining ~45-minutes of the 60-minute Brine Draw cycle to push the brine through the resin and rinse excess brine and hardness minerals to drain.

Because there was too much brine created initially, the rinse time remaining after the brine is transferred, maybe insufficient to rinse away all of the excess brine from the resin so soft water after this initial regen cycle may taste salty for a short time. To eliminate the salt taste, allow a cold faucet to flow for a few minutes which will rinse away the remaining salt residue from the resin.

Because the dry salt above the correct liquid level had become wet, a salt bridge is more of a possibility as the currently wet salt will have become partially dissolved and may clump together while drying. For the next several weeks, on the day after regeneration has occured, inspect the salt to ensure it is becoming lower in the brine tank. If the salt level is not lowering, use a solid rod such as a broom handle to push into the salt to breakup any solid mass so the smaller pieces can drop into the water below so they will become dissolved by the water to create brine.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep, I've been known to over do just about everything, :-( now i gotta get it out..
The problem with overfilling initially is that the BD cycle may not be long enough to suck down the brine and then to slow rinse away the brine. So after your first regen, the water may be salty. After the first regen, you could run water out of a cold faucet first in line after the regen at maybe 1/3 gpm for say 40 minutes. If you had a tds meter to watch the faucet output, you could tell when the salt has passed. Or taste.

Brine sucks down to about midway on the air check valve before that valve shuts off the draw. So some brine stays in the tank.

Another idea is to not drink the water until the salt has worked its way through. Some extra salt in non-drinking water would not be bad. Don't water your plants with softened water.

Resin comes already regenerated.

Denny L.

Reaction score
Should I bail out the water, or will it pull down during the 60 Brine Draw? And then refill to the programmed level aka 8 min - 4 Gal. Fill?

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I bail out the water, or will it pull down during the 60 Brine Draw? And then refill to the programmed level aka 8 min - 4 Gal. Fill?
Up to you. It will pull down, but it may not rinse the salt out completely. But that would be a one-time thing.

The 8 minute BF will add 4 gallons. I am going to estimate that if you pull down to the middle of the air check valve during a regen, the 8 minute BF will add back 4 gallons of water. I think that 4 gallons will raise the brine level back up about 4.3 inches, assuming a 20 x 30 tapered tank, and assuming that would be about the same cross section as a 19x29 rectangle due to tapering and rounding of corners. This also assumes the salt is higher than the fill level.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks