Fleck 5600 SXT Setting for Catalytic Carbon Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

randomwalk

Reaction score
I have a 1.0 cubic ft. (9x44) catalytic carbon filter with a Fleck 5600 SXT head. I'm trying to see if the setting below are correct. A sticker by the drain line says Drain Flow = 4.0 GPM.

DF = Gal
VT = Fltr --> I am not sure if this is the right setting.
CT = tc
NT = 1
DO = 15 --> I have seen recommendation that go as long as 28 days. I don't know what is correct. The water coming in is city water.
RT = 2:00 am
BW = 10 --> I am not sure if this is long enough given the drain flow rate?
RR = 10 --> I am not sure if this is long enough given the drain flow rate?

Bannerman

Reaction score
As your city water will be relatively clean, the backwash cycle will not be flushing away much if any sediment but will mainly be utilized to lift and reclassify the carbon and prevent channelling. A 10-minute backwash every 28 days will usually be adequate.

RR is utilized to recompact the carbon bed after the media is loosened and expanded during BW. Compaction will reduce the space between the carbon granules so water will have greater contact with the carbon. The RR setting is not critical and could be reduced to 5 minutes to save some water. After the initial compaction, water flowing to the fixtures will further compact the carbon since the service flow through the filter will be down through the carbon bed.

Here is a thread which may be of interest: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....kwash-cycles-day-overrides.79701/#post-577969

I suspect your drain flow rate is 4.0 gpm as your tank is 44" tall. 4.0 - 4.5 gpm is often the recommended backwash range for 1 cuft carbon, but the usual tank size for 1 cuft media is 9" X 48". The higher backwash rate would require additional freeboard space for the media to expand as is provided in the taller tank.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/44-45

Last edited:

randomwalk

Reaction score
Thanks, Bannerman! My tank is actually 9 x 48 (44 was a typo). And the drain flow rate is 4.0 gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks